Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive have 2 tanks done so far which are 10 gal vets. 1 10 gallon vert has 2 inibico tarapato. another will house lamasi (orange).Also working on another 10 gallon vert as well as going to start working on this 20 long.All of these tanks will be on a frog rock.

I will be attemping to do my FIRST fake rock backround , becuase looks more natural and not a fan of gs foam. i just finshed doing a false bottom that has a small creek running around. So its a nice feature as well as will be easy to sifin out the water when i need to.will post pictures tomorrrow. Also tomorrow im running to lowes to get blue styrofoam and what ever tools i need. Hope you guys enjoys and give me any tips or tricks on making the fake rock. advice would be great and critzism would help on an errors i make.

do you think this is a good tank to house a trio of D.azureus?

·
Registered
59 Posts
ok i built for my first a rock/wood background it looks like wood but its a rock and d. azureus like room to walk so a 20gal long would be good "im new to vivs and that by what i heard" and if you want ill post a pic of my build to help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres the pictures of the false bottom im doing for it. not glued down yet. just placing it to see how it will be.

sorry for the poor quality . it was from my phone

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is also the 10 gallon ive been working on as i said above. I CANNOT take any credit for the rock wall i bought it from a guy on here. he did great work

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
what would you recomend for this
Well if you're set on azureus/tincs you could always put two in there. I have 0.0.2 in a 20G long, and while I think an extra juvie in there wouldn't upset things too much, I think once they all became adults there might be problems.

As for a recommendation, if you want a species that you could keep 3-4 in there and that would also climb and use the BG, I would recommend leucomelas
Saurian Enterprises, Inc :: Dendrobates leucomelas

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well if you're set on azureus/tincs you could always put two in there. I have 0.0.2 in a 20G long, and while I think an extra juvie in there wouldn't upset things too much, I think once they all became adults there might be problems.

As for a recommendation, if you want a species that you could keep 3-4 in there and that would also climb and use the BG, I would recommend leucomelas
Saurian Enterprises, Inc :: Dendrobates leucomelas
know what i think i will do that

·
Registered
222 Posts
i just did my first fake rocks/waterfall etc. some tips I'd give you...
- know what you will cover it with BEFORE you start! I though grout would look really cool and give it an awesome realistic look - which is did, BUT I didn't realize until I had the first couple coats on it that grout is not technically water proof, and it has a very basic pH that needs to be neutralized (week or two - maybe more, of vinegar and water soaks/rinses). I ended up coating my nice pretty grout with a couple layers of drylok and now i can't really tell i even used grout :/
- buy extra foam so you can experiment and toss out carvings you don't like
- i would do a solid block to insert/silicone into the tank so you don't have to waste a ton of silicone to fill the cracks in between pieces
- think about having a few ledges that go out onto the sides - it looks cool, adds more perches for your frogs, and breaks up the silhouette of your background to make it look more realistic

good luck! :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just did my first fake rocks/waterfall etc. some tips I'd give you...
- know what you will cover it with BEFORE you start! I though grout would look really cool and give it an awesome realistic look - which is did, BUT I didn't realize until I had the first couple coats on it that grout is not technically water proof, and it has a very basic pH that needs to be neutralized (week or two - maybe more, of vinegar and water soaks/rinses). I ended up coating my nice pretty grout with a couple layers of drylok and now i can't really tell i even used grout :/
- buy extra foam so you can experiment and toss out carvings you don't like
- i would do a solid block to insert/silicone into the tank so you don't have to waste a ton of silicone to fill the cracks in between pieces
- think about having a few ledges that go out onto the sides - it looks cool, adds more perches for your frogs, and breaks up the silhouette of your background to make it look more realistic

good luck! :)

thanks for the tips and advice. i just dont know yet about like what size rocks i want to do like big rock or just many little rock mix with big. and cab=n you explain this to me -
i would do a solid block to insert/silicone into the tank so you don't have to waste a ton of silicone to fill the cracks in between pieces
breaks up the silhouette

·
Registered
222 Posts
if you buy one or two slabs of pink insulation foam and glue them together, then carve the face of the rocks out only - you will have one big slab with a nice flat back. then you can just glue the entire piece into your tank. If you don't do one single piece (carved to look like many rocks), you will have to glue all of them together, which would waste a lot of silicone/glue to fill the cracks between them.

break up the silhouette - some of the rocks can overhand and go onto the side (it will have to be a separate piece of foam, not a big deal since you will only need a few). it just looks cool and instead of having only the back covered you have more decorative 'background' on the sides and more places to have plants, without blocking too much viewing area or crowding the tank (which all 3 sides completely covered do in a background do IMO)

made a quick paint diagram to show lol
also attached a pic of the same concept from an old tank pre-planting with the same concept but its cork bark on the sides and gs/coco-fiber on the back

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if you buy one or two slabs of pink insulation foam and glue them together, then carve the face of the rocks out only - you will have one big slab with a nice flat back. then you can just glue the entire piece into your tank. If you don't do one single piece (carved to look like many rocks), you will have to glue all of them together, which would waste a lot of silicone/glue to fill the cracks between them.

break up the silhouette - some of the rocks can overhand and go onto the side (it will have to be a separate piece of foam, not a big deal since you will only need a few). it just looks cool and instead of having only the back covered you have more decorative 'background' on the sides and more places to have plants, without blocking too much viewing area or crowding the tank (which all 3 sides completely covered do in a background do IMO)

made a quick paint diagram to show lol
also attached a pic of the same concept from an old tank pre-planting with the same concept but its cork bark on the sides and gs/coco-fiber on the back

i like that drawing. I was planning on doing that. also your say is put the pink foam against the glass then keep putting piece on or get a very thick long peice and carve it out all in one shot with out glue seprate pieces. and truly thanks for the help

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My question is what tools do i need to cut the styrofoam with. As well as what tools does everyone use to get details on the rocks ?

please help before i start

1 - 20 of 56 Posts