Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow (and probably more experienced) froggers. I am starting a 20 gallon long tank and i would like some suggestions on supplies and stocking (both plants and frogs). i would also like to know if there are any semi-aboreal frogs besides thumbnails.

·
Registered
257 Posts
A 20 long will be too short for anything remotely arboreal. I would recommend flipping it on its side, giving you a much taller viv.

You would want to make or buy something like this Conversion Kits – Jungle Box. Its fairly simple to make your own if you choose to go that route and most hardware stores will cut the glass for only a few dollars. I get my hinges and handles from NEHERP. Its called living hinge material, http://www.neherpetoculture.com/diy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Tincs would be one of the most suitable frogs available for this tank and they use more ground space than height. A pair would live happily in there if planted well:)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Personally I would never use a 20 gal long as a vert tank. There just isn't enough floor space for foraging.

I don't think leucs are out of the question. In fact it would probably be the frog I would recommend. Leucs will use the whole tank, but they don't need to call from high perches (mine normally calls near or on the ground). They will have plenty of room to forage on the ground. A pair of tincs would also be a nice choice. If you build ledges for them, they will go up to the top of the tank as well.

As far as plants go, it is really a personal choice. You don't need broms with leucs or tincs, but they provide study places for the frogs to climb. 2 or 3 in the 10"-12" max range would be nice. As far as the rest of the plants, look through tank builds on this site and see what you like. There are some very common viv plants that you can pick up almost for free that look really nice.
Some of favorite robust, usually can be picked up cheap plants include.
Begonia thelmae
Peperomia serpens
Ficus quercifolia (sp?)
Ficus sp. 'lance leaf'
Ficus radicans

1 - 5 of 5 Posts