Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK This Is My First Attempt At Building A Vivarium. Please By All Means Correct Me And Add Anything I Need To Do. But The Way I'm Going To Do This Build (By Means Of Updating It) Is As I Finish Adding To The Viv I'm Going To Update It To Here.

Materials:
1 20 Gallon Long Aquarium
1 Glass Top Canopy
2 Cans Of Great Stuff Foam.
2 Tubes Of G.E Silicone II Brown.
1 48" Light Diffuser (Egg Crate)
1 Bag Of Orchid Bark
1 Bag Of Eco Earth Substrate (Coco Fiber)
1 Bag Of Sphagnum Moss

Tools Used: (As Of Right Now)
Tape Measure
Expo Dry Erase Markers ( Life Savers When Drawing Plans On Tank)
Caulk Gun( Haven't Used Yet)
Wire Cutters (To Cut Egg Crate)
Scissors (To Clean Up The Shape Edges).

(NEXT UPDATE PREVIEW) Cutting Eggcrate Crate To Make The False Bottom.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm Sorry About The Delay On Progress Guys. I Just Haven't Had Time To Do Anything To The Vivarium. But Today I Got A lot Of Progress Done. I've Got My False Bottom Done And The Back Glass With Great Stuff Background.

The Previous Night I Did Silicone And Zip Tied The Eggratr To Get The Basic Design.

OK So I Finished The Back Piece Which Will Be Used As An Access To Drain Water Out The Bottom And To Prevent Stress Points On The Glass And Prevent Shattering. If You Look At The Two Pieces In The Middle Of The Tank That Look Raised, Its An Experiment To Give The Tank And Substrate A Hilly Effect. (So Its Not Flat And Boring).

So I've Finally Started To Mess With The Tank It Self. As You Can See I've Glued PVS Pipe ( They Are An Inch And 1/2 Tall)

THAT CONCLUDES THIS UPDATE OF THE FALSE BOTTOM.
(NEXT UPDATE PREVIEW) : GREAT STUFF BACKGROUND

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Lookin good so far....I tried that sphag and it degrades really fast, just something to keep in mind. Great idea about the dry erase markers, that will be helpful with my next build. Keep us updated.
-Field

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ab the build and the heads up on the Sphagnum moss. And yes the markers are great with plans and stuff it made planning easier. And I will keep You guys posted and updated. And ill accept any criticism as long as its positive and Rutherford my learning abilities and the Vivarium and dart frog hobby. Also this is my first Vivarium.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK I Got My G.S Background Sprayed And It's Drying As I'm Typing This Post. But Tomorrow I'm Gonna Have Pics Of It Siliconed And Covered it Eco Earth And Sphagnum Moss.

Just Sprayed

I Really Like The Cypress Driftwood And The Position I Placed Them It Gives A Root Effect And The Frogs Can Get In Between Them And Hide.

Full Shot Of The Tank And Foam Is Dry To The Touch And Tomorrow It'll Be Ready For Silicone And Eco Earth.

OK I Wana Here Everyone's Opinions On My Tank Up To This Point. Good And Bad :p I'm Curious Of You Guys Think As It Being My First Viv.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to cover yout false bottom with some sort of screen? This will greatly reduce the dirt in the water
There is actually a screening on the false bottom my phone will not show it in pictures.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Updates Soon Just Haven't Had Time And Waiting For Silicone Dry. What Do You Guys Think So Far. All Comments Welcomed. :p

·
Banned
503 Posts
Nice, I have a 20 long collected garbage (litterally, i'm using it as a garbage can, LOL) and would love to do this. What are you p[lanning on putting in here? a few luecs? Tell me how you like the long dramatic look. My next build with either be that, or a 29g. I'm aiming for the 29g, because it's taller, but idk. Any water features going in it? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A pair or maybe a trio of dendrobate auratus ( green morph). To be honest I love the long look. The only problem I'm gonna have its plants that grow tall. Nope no water features on the tank. I'm glad people are actually liking it because when I first suggested this tank all I got was negative criticism about the tank being too short for a great stuff background and too be honest it seems perfect for me and its a nice looking tank to my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well for ground dwelling species you dont need a tall tank haha, i think i remember reading that green auratus are similar to tincs in behaviour where they spend the majority of their time on the ground so your tank is perfect imo. looking forward to updates

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a 20L that I did for my Azures, plants can a little bit of a challenge as there not alot a verticle room, but it is possible.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well for ground dwelling species you dont need a tall tank haha, i think i remember reading that green auratus are similar to tincs in behaviour where they spend the majority of their time on the ground so your tank is perfect imo. looking forward to updates
That's true. But the are semi arboreal and will spend time it the leaves and stuff like that. But majority of the time they are on the ground.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really great detailed build journal, it's always so exciting with the development of each new step!
Updates soon I promise I gotta pick up another tube of silicone to finish the final touches to the background and it'll be up on the site. I'm really sorry for the delay. :(

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 20L that I did for my Azures, plants can a little bit of a challenge as there not alot a verticle room, but it is possible.
You are very correct all of the plants I'm gonna have will be small like nano plants lol. Or creepers. I'm gonna have to be good on a pruning schedule on this tank.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here A Small Update To The Dècor Of The Viv. My DIY Coco Hut. All I Did Was Buy A Coconut From Walmart And Sawed It In Half And Cut Little Entrance Ways Into It.

·
Banned
503 Posts
I'm gonna keep my eye on this build. You putting the coco fibers on today? I cant wait :D Also, how'd you cut that coconut! I have a coconut which I collected from Hawaii and had a hell of a time getting the husk off then shaving it smooth with a razer to only find out I cant cut the little opening out! What did you used to cut it? A jigsaw?

1 - 20 of 138 Posts