Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should you let tap water (we have good water) sit out before it's ok to use on plants/frogs? Should I leave it uncovered with a screen top?

About distilled water.....I couldn't find any water in the store labelled distilled water. There was lots of "spring water" and Aquafina is labelled as "purified water" so I went with aquafina but that's gonna get expensive fast.

Also, I can't seem to find the right size tubing to use with my Marineland Maxi Jet 400 pump. Anyone know what size you need? It doesn't say anywhere in the booklet or on their website.

Thanks again,

-Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
Chlorine will usually escape water after 24 hours (depending on the surface area of the water body probably) I would leave it out for 48. If you have chloramine in your water (ask your local treatment facility) then I think it takes longer but I am not sure. You can use it after it is room temp if you use a detoxifier from the pet store (maybe 1 hour).

I have used chlorinated water right out of the tap on tanks with frogs and non-sensitive plants with no ill effects but I prefer to use filtered water (I have a carbon in-line filter on my sink) Tadpoles will be killed by chlorine and chloramine, just like fish.

As far as the maxi jet goes, I would just take it to the hardware store or pet store and start sticking it in tubes. If nobody has the right size ask if they can order it or if worst case you can sometimes get a hose clamp to tighten a close size over the out take by slitting the hose a few times (this is a submersible I assume).

Hope this helps

Aneides

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I just got back from Home Depot and the tube I needed was 1/2 inch.

Thanks for the info about the water.

I think I'm finally ready to start official construction. I think it's gonna come out good. (It better after all the questions I've asked you guys and girls)

-Dave

G

·
So, not to interfere w/ Iheartdarts questions but because chloramines and such do not evaporate, is it okay to buy artesian or spring water?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh yeah I forgot...I have another question.....

I recall seeing someone post a joke about securing plants with duct tape. Well my question is.....would duct tape be a bad idea to have in the viv?

I am using two flimsy plastic cutting boards to form a tube to put in the corner where my pump will be which will then be covered up by the foam/silicone/coco background.

I was planning on making the tube by just duct taping the plastic in to a tube shape....anyone think that would be a bad idea?

Thanks again

-Dave

G

·
Hey Dave!
I'm not too sure about the duct tape thing... but I am just a newbie myself. I would personally rather use wire, (possability of toxins from the tape? I dont know :? ) seems to me it would be more secure.

So, not to interfere w/ Iheartdarts questions but because chloramines and such do not evaporate, is it okay to buy artesian or spring water?
Distilled water or getting a reverse-osmosis setup is the way to go for water. I believe that you can buy the artesian water but as Dave mentioned it will get expensive fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.