Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dendroboard! I'm new to the board and the hobby as a whole. I have two questions today.

The first is, does anyone have experience with using Plas-Tex bathroom wall panels for building a vivarium? It's not drastically more expensive than plywood, and they say it's waterproof and inert. I don't know if it poses known health risks to animals or is a bear to work with or anything, though.

Second question. Does anyone have experience with using wild grape vine/wood? I live in the country and have access to some big stands of it. Some of it's a good couple inches thick. I've googled around but haven't found too much information on it. I'm guessing it has similar molding issues as store-bought grapewood, and apparently it's prone to shooting out new leaves and stalks, but that's all I know.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Welcome to DB...lots of great information here. You may want to search posts about trying to deal with natural items for vivariums. One of the most respected posters..screen name: Ed...advises that unless an item were autoclaved, it is virtually impossible to "clean" such items. If you do a construction search, there are people who make beautiful, fake vines like the appearance you are going for. Have fun

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello dendroboard! I'm new to the board and the hobby as a whole. I have two questions today.

The first is, does anyone have experience with using Plas-Tex bathroom wall panels for building a vivarium? It's not drastically more expensive than plywood, and they say it's waterproof and inert. I don't know if it poses known health risks to animals or is a bear to work with or anything, though.
How did you plan to use it? The sheet you linked to is only 1/16" thick, so it will essentially have zero structural rigidity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you do a construction search, there are people who make beautiful, fake vines like the appearance you are going for. Have fun
I wrote a little tutorial about vines in an old blog post you can look at.
Thank you both! Unfortunately, I don't think I was really clear in my first post. I wasn't wondering about using the grapewood as a vine so much as, well, wood. The wild vines I have are very old; they're woody and in some areas about as thick around as my forearm. (Granted, I'm a twiggy fellow, but you get the idea.) But if the common wisdom is that grapewood is not great for vivs, I suppose it does not matter? I'll stay away from it, anyway.

How did you plan to use it? The sheet you linked to is only 1/16" thick, so it will essentially have zero structural rigidity.
Well, I guess that explains why I couldn't find any information on using it to build a viv then, heh. Can't believe I didn't notice that; I feel sheepish.

By coincidence there is a new thread by Hashbaz....sort of explains things pretty scientifically...
Very interesting thread about the autoclaving. It seems like the jury is still out?

Either way, I don't have and autoclave, but I might be able to get access to one through a friend. That failing, I might have an alternative. My house is heated with a wood-burning fireplace that happens to have a bread oven in it. It ranges between 150F-400F in the oven depending on how recently I've lit a fire, and I light one 2-3 times a day. Surely not much would survive if I put some wood in a pot and let it boil away up there for a week or two?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts