Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, let me start off with this question. I am looking for any dendrobate/mantella/epidobate/phyllobate breeders in the Utah area. I am willing to drive to the surrounding states, possibly colorado and arizona. My focus right now is on finding some d. azureus. I hate to ship, but I guess I will if I have to. So, if anyone can tell me of any breeders/dealers in this general area, please do.

As for my second topic, I recently had a female mantella aurantiaca die. I had observed her eating the day before, she had been very active, and had NO signs of illness that I could see. She then died the next morning (last saturday). I found her sitting in a spot, legs at her side (which seems to be uncommon for a mantella death, they usually stretch their legs out when they die). I couldn't tell if she was dead, until I reached in to scare her, and she didn't move. I have NO idea what could have killed her. Temp and humidity were perfet, with no spikes, no contaminants came in contact, I have had her for a little over a month, she was captive breed, and never even been in contact with a wild caught. No silicone, fertilizers, or anything used in construction of her tank. The water was all out of a well established aquarium, and everything else is just perfect. She was living with 5 males, who are all doing great to this day. I then had a necropsy performed by my mom, who has her degree in zoology, and with a very high powered microscope, found NO abnormalities, such as protozoa, or parasites. The tank has good ventilation. The only thing I did find was that she was Gravid, for her first time. I don't know if this could have played a part in her death or not. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I would like to figure this out, so I can take any precautions with the 5 other males. oh yeah, I have gone through the Mantellas' bible, and have found NO diseases or illnesses that relate to this death. Thanks

Ed parker

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm not too up to date on gravid frog death but I know in other heps if there is no place for the female to deposit the eggs she holds on to them. This causes stress and strain on her part. When I was an undergrad we had several iguanas, snakes and chameleons come in with related problems. With a small frog this is undetectible until it's too late. Sorry to hear about your loss. Did you have a place for her to lay the eggs. A "private area" away from the males out of sight?

just my thoughts.

G

·
I do recall vets saying that most of the time when a female vieled cham dies from being egg bound that had a place to lay eggs it is usually caused by calcium deffency(spelling).

Mike P.

G

·
Steve can be reached at Downs Printing,92 East Main, Hyrum,Ut-(435)245-6966. The last time I spoke to him he didn't have any frogs available although he does have mated pairs of several frogs. I have auratas tads in the water now, some with legs but my azureus are froglets and unsexed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know in Arizona that AZDR has everything you are looking for. They are located in Mesa, AZ which is a suburb of PHX. Their email address is [email protected]. I just recently purchased some Basti's and azureus from them. They will have answers to all of your questions. I think it will be well worth your time to at least send them an email and tell them what you are looking for. Good luck.
Andy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts