Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,094 Posts
They sure aren't darts...but a group of firebellies would be neat to watch...and I have some Endler Live Bearers in the water portion of the paladarium...having some "sunning rocks" that could be covered in a low growing moss would be a good spot for the firebellies...Since the firebellies have some toxins on their skin, make sure to not handle too much...they don't bother the fish at all. I have emerging plants, part under, part over the water...you have to consider how you could feed crickets to whatever frogs you choose...they drown pretty quickly unless they have a land mass...good luck...love the spillway for the waterfall...keep us posted

· Registered
3,094 Posts
okay...I'll bite...what is the blue material covering? I really, really like the appearance of the stones...they look particularly authentic...more so than carving GS...explain more how you shaped them, etc. and how you stacked them...looking so good. Are they on a GS background, a seperate piece of styro, what...?? Are you going to have to go thru the soaking phase to change the pH?? Explanation of the plumbing, etc.???

· Registered
3,094 Posts
Am hoping to find those blocks at our local Michael's...no Hobby Lobby here...are the 2 x 2 blocks hard like styro, or soft??? I have used the acrylic bonding liquid along with several different colored grout mixes..the Latircrete brand. I still ended up using marine epoxy on the bottom edges and back, as well as the waterfall area just to avoid the colors being affected after painting those areas with acrylic paint. To lesson the gloss, I did use colored sand here and there..and superglued some small aquarium stones....stuff like that. That sort of "landscaping" is truly fun...as well as the plants of course...ah, then there are the frogs!!

· Registered
3,094 Posts
soft foam...ohhh. that's why the "edges" are really not hard, sharp edges...interesting that even side-by-side that one would be hard, the other crumbly...The acrylic hardener might help to stiffen the cementious coating...are you concerned about washing away of any other waterfall area??? From what I've tried, and see...there is no "perfect" way to do it...and with all our efforts to create an authentic appearance...we hope that eventually it will all have moss and vines on it!!! I don't have a camera...don't have time to read the instructions even on my cell phone or answering machine....am too busy on DB...!!

· Registered
3,094 Posts
what did you use to "cut" the foam??? The fortifier also helps in bonding the cement in the layers you are using...did you also put a Titebond layer down first, then your organic mix???/ How long before it started to make moss??

· Registered
3,094 Posts
No luck finding "soft" styro...but did buy a couple of the pool "noodles" at Goodwill...they will probably work...and if not, I wasted $2...I really liked the look of your stacked stones...there are some sites for buying different mosses..getting a combo and putting them in a blender, or coffee grinder and incorporating them into the silicone/peat mix should give them a start...

· Registered
3,094 Posts
I think it looks terrific...do you have concerns about the color wearing away?? Java moss alongside the water would look really good...it needs moisture and light...will spread if it likes the environment. Oak leaf creeping fig would be fabulous creeping up on the walls...Black Jungle has it I think...and other places as well...check the sponsor sites. It doesn't "take over" like the other forms of creeping fig...and has a smaller, more attractive leaf form. How did you install the pump system?? If you mounted the "rocks" right on the glass, how/where is the hose coming from to empty the water over the rocks?? Sorry about the job...

· Registered
3,094 Posts
ya...I'd really like to see a sketch or something...sounds like the way you're doing it will use less floor space..my tanks are not drilled...but the Exos have a two part lid with a living hinge holding them together...so I can install fans, etc. Three of the others are vertical conversions I made...they really need better air circulation--I just haven't figured out how to do it...the vents have a material that prevents FF from escaping, but they also don't let in enough fresh air...damnit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.