Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Here are some pics of my first viv build:

I started this viv over the summer and have been letting it get nice and established before I put any frogs in it. I also wanted to find the temperature trends and figure out the humidity control before I dove right in.

It is still very much a work in progress, as you can all see from the toothpicks I have in there still, oh and from a lack of frogs. I have seeded the tank with springs and dwarf whites as well as started cultures for both of those bugs that are doing pretty well. I seeded the tank at the end of September, so if you rustle the substrate a little bit you can see some life in there.

I have gotten to this point and finally wanted to start getting some comments about my work! I also had some questions about specific breeds that I wanted to present and maybe talk to someone that has a lot of experience with Vents. I think those are what I am shooting for. I wanted to get frogs at the Jan. 2012 Reptile expo or possible similar event.

Enjoy.

I have some more pictures that involve the build that I will post later.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Looking good. Sounds like you are taking your time which is awesome...patience definitely pays off in the end. Is the fern on the right a Nephrolepis exaltata "Suzi Wong"?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is a Suzi Wong!

At first when I put it in there and misted heavily about 50% of the plant turned brown and died. I felt bad for the little wong, so I replanted to it's current position, and it took off!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
looks great.
I see you got a pup coming off that brom on the left :)
I can't wait to see mine pup if they do
looks like you have 2 different types of bulbs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes indeed! At the time I took this pic I was thrilled to see that I was beginning to get a pup from one of my Neo. Chiquita Linda (a hybrid of N. Lilliputiana and Neo Fireball).

At the time that I put in the order for this plant I was told by Mike @ New England Herpetoculture - Home that when they sell these broms they are usually already pupping. At the time that he sent them to me he had none that were pupping so he sent me two instead! Now the one that can bee seen pupping the pics above has yet ANOTHER pup coming from it! The other is yet to pup but still doing well.

These were very reasonably priced and are well worth it so for.

I have 3 different kinds of broms in there:

N. Chiquita Linda
Olens X Fireball

Both purchased from New England Herpetoculture - Home and received in great condition

The upper most brom is a Vriesea 'Christiane' I got from Black Jungle, also doing great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is some of the background to my viv, this is most of the steps that I took from start to finish:

After coating the back with a thin layer of black silicone, I positioned a piece of grapewood and other driftwood with some terra cotta pots and twine.

Here comes the G-stuff!

I didn't take any pics of the finished product. But afterwards I carved up the G-stuff when it cured and then coated it with black silicone and smashed in some coco fiber. 2 coats:

I didn't end up keeping the last terra cotta pot in the very bottom, even though I think I really should have now.

I touched it up a little more with black silicone and coco fiber in some spots, added hydroton to the bottom and put a piece of fiberglass screen over it. Then I put in a bunch of ABG and coated with extra sphagnum moss and coco fiber. This was a while ago, probably back in September, that I completed this. The shots at the start of this thread are about at the start of this month.

Please enjoy!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
what are you gonna do for drainage and why did you use 2 different bulbs?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I ever need a good drain, I can easily slip a tube in one of the corners to siphon the water .

I used two different bulbs to supply a good mix of light wavelength. I'm not sure if it really makes a big difference to them, but I also like the color that it supplies.

I also figured that I wanted to create a low light environment, while still supplying some higher wavelength.

It's probably not that big of an issue for the plants, and really, I got a package deal to start out and those were the two bulbs that came with it haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts