Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I recently got my new viv and already started working on it. Here's a quick rundown of the situation.

- got the viv, day and night lighting, heat mat, thermo/hygro meters, pump for the waterfall, two coco bricks and a bunch of mopani wood pieces for under 150 euros. The people running the pet store were even kind enough to help me lug all the boxes to my crib.

-i also got a bunch of broms, big box of fresh live moss (no idea what kind it is so i'll post pics of it soon) and a small umbrella plant. The broms look a bit beat up, but unfortunately these were the only small ones i was able to find now.

Construction:

Pretty much the regular stuff with a few exceptions. I couldn't find any egg crate, so I made my false bottom from several plastic boxes and covered the whole thing with weed blocker. It turned out quite ghetto, but is durable enough to do the job.

Here is how the whole thing looks like right now. I'll wait for another day or two before the foam cures completely and will cover it with black silicone/coco substrate mixed with a bit of dry moss. Am I overdoing the planting part? Also, would it be ok to triam the umbrella plant every once in a while, as it's already quite high and will block most sunlight if it keeps growing too fast. The viv will house two young D Auratus plus a third one i'll be getting next month.

PS: Sorry for the crappy pics, I'll make sure I find my camera for the upcoming ones!

·
Registered
391 Posts
looks too crowded, but it will look much better after you add some peatmoss to the background :)

what type of substrate are you going to add?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I agree, peat moss looks better than white foam!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll wait for another day or two for the foam to fully cure before siliconing coco fiber on the background. Guess I'll also need to cut parts of it, because the foam expanded way too much on the left wall. Substrate will be eco earth and I'll add some of the live moss on top. It turned out that all of the broms also sprouted smaller ones in the pots, so i might wait a bit until they separate and remove the bigger plants (except the reddish one which is my favourite.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
you should carve some of that foam off.
especially before you put the silicone on there cause the silicone doesn't like to stick to the smooth surface of GS

·
Registered
391 Posts
you should carve some of that foam off.
especially before you put the silicone on there cause the silicone doesn't like to stick to the smooth surface of GS
When i siliconed my gs it stuck pretty good...

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

I'm still not finished, but I'm definitely getting there! Already shaved of a lot of the foam and siliconed the coco substrate. Also had a major disaster involving leftovers from the walls that fell underneath the false bottom and a clogged pump... so i had to take out the false bottom, clean everything up and reassemble. To prevent such things from happening again, i've added a bit of moss around the edges and also left a shaft on the false bottom should i need to access the pump again. I'll be putting the eco earth, moss and plants tomorrow.

About the lighting, I live in a studio and it gets quite cold during winter here in Bulgaria. I'll be keeping the exo terra day light bulb and probably add a night one just for heating (depending on how cold this winter will be)

Sorry for the crappy picture, I'll make sure i find my camera and snap some HD pics once everything is done.

PS: I've drilled small holes through the foam for the plants to drain :)
PS2: The local pet supplier just ordered some more D. Auratus. Will it be OK to get a third one in this viv?

·
Registered
835 Posts
A pair of Auratus is about right for the tank, depending on size. I attempted to grow 5 very young Auratus froglets in the same sized tank and had to move them to a 50 far earlier than I anticipated. They grow like weeds. It was a noob mistake but one that was fixable.

Did you drill a single hole for each plant cup or multiple holes? If you only drilled one per cup, I would recommend drilling a couple in each in case one gets clogged.

Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. One hole per plant, but it's rather large and should to the job. I meant to ask would it be OK to add another froglet given the lack of useful vertical space. I should have mounted the flower pots lower and also add some ledges, so the Auratus can also make use of the hight of the viv. Anyway, it's not too late to think of something.

By the way, I assembled everything last night and moved the froglets there. The last step was to add a thin layer eco earth (pre-mixed with a bit of vermiculite) and top it with fresh live moss. I still have one empty flower pot and haven't decided what to put in it. Any suggestions for a bushy creeping plant that i can use?

Overall, i'm happy with the result. I could have done a lot better in the aesthetics department, but I'm sure how the frogs feel in their new home is much more important. Pics coming this evening!

PS: Call me stupid, but i couldn't find the edit button. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A bit of an update showing the current state of the viv:

Just need to add another plant in the top left pot and also get a tall piece of wood to fill the inner right part for extra depth and climbing space.

Those calcium powdered FF's already swarmed one of the coco huts and messed it up, so i need to fix this one as well

I also redid my Leptopelis tank. Nothing too fancy, just added an umbrella plant and siliconed another piece of bark on the right wall. Hopefully, the plant will get all bushy and keep the tank shady during the day (Leptopelis are nocturnal and get easily woken up). Also did a bit of foam/silicone/coco combo to mound the plastic skill/waterfall on the top. Miss chubby frog absolutely ADORES it :) Speaking of fat frogs, here she is!

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
did you put a false bottom or hydroton/LECA or any kind of drainage layer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Auratus tank - yes, Leptopelis - no.

I have a ghetto DIY false bottom made out of several plastic drawer like things in the PDF tank. Turned out pretty good -durable enough to hold the weight of everything inside and flexible enough to fold diagonally and take out of the tank should something fail horribly.

I don't really need a false bottom in the other tank. Leptopelis are low maintenance compared to PDF and they don't need high humidity. Nevertheless, I've separated 1/3 of the tank and filled in with water - they take a dip every now and then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just finished the viv!
Two small adjustments to the water feature and one of the pots. I got a weird looking creeping bush like thing that looks like cousin It from the Adams family :D

Lookie lookie, a trail of poop led me to one of the froglet's hideout:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would see if you could get the aluminum hood for that tank from exo terra takes to tubes and a 35 watt halogen but they work great on all my tanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I only use one bulb for the exo terra hood. I thought that the two bulb models have a separate switches for each light, but it turned out it's just one. My initial idea is to use a day and night lights and program them to cycle every 12 hours with a controller, but i dont want to take the hood apart and make the needed modification. So i'm currently using a 50 watt cylindrical exo terra day glo in in the left bulb socket and the other one is empty.

By the way, i barely see the froglets after moving them to the new viv. They're constantly hiding either in the broms or somewhere around the water feature. Is that normal? I'm a bit alarmed because they were constantly jumping around in the old tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts