Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have one azurei now but I feel bad that he's been in a 10g talk overrun with plants and I've had this exo-terra for like two years now!

This morning my bf used an angle grinder to cut some of my old slate/stones in half for me and I finally set up a hardscape (or skeleton. hehe) that I think I like.

So far I have the slate "retaining wall", a large plastic pond plant basket, a nice piece of wood I've been holding on to for over 6 years, on "monkey ladder" piece and three "monkey pods" from BJ.
I have a "monkey bowl", two "amazon pods", three "dendro pods" and two more "monkey ladders" I don't think I'll be using in here :/

My plan is to put hydroton in the plant basket with a substrate divider, some ADA substrate, maybe sphagnum moss and leave on top, between the basket and the rock wall I'm planning on doing more hydroton but not as deep and putting sphagnum over it and leaves on top...
Unsure of substrate in the "water" area still, the area in front of the stone will be a semi-shallow water area.
The rocks have steps and things at various heights plus some of the wood will be in there, and plants.

I wedged a ladder in the piece of wood to create well fitting places to put the pods. Will probably put dangling plants coming out of them.

Ok, done babbling... what do you guys think so far?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Looks really good so far. I'll be watching this thread as you progress. :)
I bet they will really appreciate that little pond.
I'm glad to see you enjoying your azureiventris, I think they are a pretty underrated frog, and it's nice to see them around.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks really good so far. I'll be watching this thread as you progress. :)
I bet they will really appreciate that little pond.
I'm glad to see you enjoying your azureiventris, I think they are a pretty underrated frog, and it's nice to see them around.
Once I have everything set up and grown in a little I'm going to want to get a couple more, set them up in a temp tank and then move them in with my guy... would be fantastic if someone goes "hey, I have this 1.2 group, cheap to a good home" but... not realistic. haha.
I love them, and the call is great :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Nice so far. Will be watching this build as well.

*Off-topic*
Katrina - I just noticed your signature. I wish I can give that a thumbs up.

·
Registered
708 Posts
... would be fantastic if someone goes "hey, I have this 1.2 group, cheap to a good home" but... not realistic. haha.
I love them, and the call is great :D
Lol. You and me both :D

I put a want out for a female way back when and was practically laughed at. Still hoping and praying.

But they are such interesting little frogs, I enjoy them even without them breeding.

*Off-topic*
Katrina - I just noticed your signature. I wish I can give that a thumbs up.
Haha. Thanks, but I can't take credit for it, I saw Groundhog say it in a different thread and though it was especially clever.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One reason I'd like a female or two is because I think these should be more popular and in more people's awesome tanks... would help if there were more of them.

Anyone have any suggestions or concerns so far?
I rinsed my hydroton yesterday and was thinking of putting it in today.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got to clean some sand up to put along the bottom, cut my wood down so it fits in there and add the hydroton. Apparently there is no saw here now though so I guess I'll wait a bit longer.
I also need to test to see if it's still water-tight down there, not much looking forward to that. heh

What do you guys think for plants?
I would really love a begonia somewhere and have a lot of Pellionia repens and I was thinking of putting some so it grows on the wood. Aside from that I don't really know.
As long as the water area is safe I'll most likely have some anubias and things down there.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
"extra" Seed pods

Giant bucket of hydroton

About 2 and a half sammich bags of ADA substrate

Also, I have a lot of this stuff, I called it "palm tree skin" but it's actually leaf sheaths. And I think I finally figured out what our palms are, Brahea edulis.
Anyway, outside we mounted broms to the palms and wrapped some of these loosely around the root area and string we used to string the broms up with.
Have been wondering about using some in the tank.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been trying to figure out the best way to have moss grow up over the edge of the planter basket (moss or... something) to help cover it up and I kept reading/seeing Hygrolon mentioned.
Do you guys think it would be a good use for this?

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've been trying to figure out the best way to have moss grow up over the edge of the planter basket (moss or... something) to help cover it up and I kept reading/seeing Hygrolon mentioned.
Do you guys think it would be a good use for this?
Why not try the mashed moss mixture a lot of folks seem to have success with. It seems they just blend it and then smash it onto backgrounds and wood pieces.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why not try the mashed moss mixture a lot of folks seem to have success with. It seems they just blend it and then smash it onto backgrounds and wood pieces.
I was wondering more on a substrate to smoosh in onto vs the stuff I'll be smooshing, if that makes sense. I have a bunch of old dead mosses I can try to blend up and use but still, the substrate to smoosh it to. hehe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts