Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an 18x18x24" xexo Terra "tree frog terrarium" for my latest build. I didn't do a full build log but wanted to share a few progress pictures.

The design is heavily influenced by @Pumilo 's "jungle gym" build.

My thought process was to make the whole tank a usable "jungle gym" style system, so I siliconed cork onto the back pane, and side panes to make a climbing structure.

First picture: background completed (silicone and bits of cork and peat moss) and cork ledges installed.
Blue Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive tire

Second picture: side ledges added and leaf litter added (this will get removed and then put back in place, I'm waiting for Matala foam for the bottom)

Wood Road surface Artifact Tints and shades Trunk

Last set: twisty vines added for extra climbing opportunities and seed pods / coconut shells
Wood Art Artifact Sculpture Rectangle
World Organism Wood Art Font

I haven't gotten this planted yet and won't for a couple of weeks probably.

I'm thinking of using Pilea "Moon Valley", some Episcia's, microgamma vacciniifolia, and possibly some small philodendrons, depending how they grow for me in the meantime in my plant growout tank, along with a couple of bromeliads.

What do you think? Ways to make it better?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know about better but I would personally take the stringy vines out and get some climbing aroids to fill the spaces between the cork bark. I love the usability of the cork ledges. I think more tanks should be designed as if you're making a jungle gym over a miniature version of a jungle scene

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Imitators, huh? Nice.:)

How far do the cork rounds stick into the viv? Have a top-down photo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Love the background - not crazy about the small vines as they sit. Don't think the ffogs would use them, and they dont look "natural". Maybe you could spread them out a bit, and let the philodendrons grow up them. Then the frogs might use the philos to climb...

·
Registered
E. tricolor 'Rio' (WIKIRI)
23 Posts
Love the background - not crazy about the small vines as they sit. Don't think the ffogs would use them, and they dont look "natural". Maybe you could spread them out a bit, and let the philodendrons grow up them. Then the frogs might use the philos to climb...
I'm also in agreement with this; removing most of the swirly vines and positioning those that remain in a more naturalistic, 'fallen down' look could improve the aesthetic. Other than that, I think it's looking good, and I'll be interested to see what it looks like wet.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Leucomelas
203 Posts
I might be a loner on this one, but I like the vines. Once your plants go in I think everything will balance out.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
Neat! :)

I'm curious to know, as you have them for a while, how they compare in habits and behavior to R. imitator (you have a pair of 'Chazuta', IIRC?).

·
Super Moderator
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
do you have any comparisons on them vs imitator chazuta? I think someone asked above :)
I do, but again, I only have one set of pumilio and of imitators, so any observations could just be my specific frogs and not apply to others' experiences.

I find the pumilio to be about as bold as the imitators that I have. The male pumilio calls almost all day, as does my imitator male (my imitator male funnily gets into a calling battle with my Ranitomeya sirensis male). Both species' males are routinely perched calling for their females.

In terms of tank layout: my tank layout for the pumilio is similar to the imitators, and the pumilio use every inch of it (the male loves to use a cork round at the very top for his calling perch), and I routinely see the pumilio foraging through the leaf litter to eat springtails and leftover flies.

If there are any specific questions, let me know

1 - 20 of 31 Posts