Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I should start a build thread since my tank finally has some traction to it. I was in the hobby about 4-5 years ago. Since then a lot has happened... graduated college, got a big boy job, bought a house, got married, and FINALLY got approval from the wife (ok... the tank just showed up due to a good craigslist find) to set a tank up in the office.

My inspiration for the tank was "The Tree" which is an old build on here which was an 18x18x36 3-side viewing tank with a centralized wood structure with a bunch of epiphytes. If the original person who made this tank is still on here, i'd love to see more pictures!

Anyways... let's get into some pictures shall we?

Picture of the tank after some MAJOR clean up. Tank was gross with water stains and a random siliconed in piece of glass on the bottom for a water area

Ended up finding a 12x12x18 a couple days later for $15... This is the size of the tanks I've had in the past. Never realized how much bigger this one was. Tankception anyone?

Tanks side by side, figured I might as well set up the second just in case. I used black contact paper from amazon for the bottom of the tanks. The back was painted black with a latex based paint

I had glass cut at my local glass shop for the top. Left about a 3/4" gap in the front for a screen to help with condensation. Also this is the first time I drilled my own mist nozzle holes. Wasn't too bad of a process, just have to go nice and slow. Once i was content with the top it was siliconed in place. Disregard the 2 sweepers & carpet cleaner in the back... we have two huskies who like to play in the mud and shed 24/7.

The original plan for the bottom of the tank was a false bottom. After much back and forth and talking to some of the local people who have been doing this for A LONG time i decided to scrap the eggcrate and use Hydroton with the screen on top of it. Also, lighting is two Evo 18" which were purchased on eBay.

First round of plants & supplies were next. I HIGHLY recommend checking out mygreenobsession on ebay. Larry has an AMAZING greenhouse here in Ohio full of Broms and other plants. ABG came from Bullseye Frog Supply (Austin). Couldn't come up with a better way to store the Broms so in the bottom of disposable coffee cups seemed to work well :)

In regards to driftwood; oh boy. I spent almost TWO HOURS in my LFS. I wheeled the box of driftwood to the back corner, pulled every single one out and sat on the floor coming up with different combinations until I was happy. $60 later this is what we got:.

After attaching the Broms and adding some plants from the local nursery. All the broms except the top two were just wedged into crevices. The top two were wired / super glued into place.

2nd round of supplies arrived from GlassBoxTropicals. If you've never purchased stuff from Mike his stuff, in my opinion, is ALWAYS the best. Not only is it top quality, but his packaging is on point. Not much really to see, just another gallon of ABG, the nut pod you see to cover up the hole for drainage (yes... i didn't drill the tank...bite me), and some duskmoss mix. At this point i've saran wrapped the top vent and bottom vent to help keep the humidity up until the moss mix hopefully takes off.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wow! Love the driftwood you selected. Do you plan on doing a background?

Larry is great! I ordered Broms, marcgravia, microgramma from him and the plants are always beautiful! I'm jealous that all the good vivarium plant shops are on the opposite side of the state from me.

I have an 18X18X24 also just sitting on the shelf. Will be interesting to follow your progress on this one.

Joe

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Love the driftwood you selected. Do you plan on doing a background?

Larry is great! I ordered Broms, marcgravia, microgramma from him and the plants are always beautiful! I'm jealous that all the good vivarium plant shops are on the opposite side of the state from me.

I have an 18X18X24 also just sitting on the shelf. Will be interesting to follow your progress on this one.

Joe
No background on either this or the 12x12x18. Hey if you don't want to set up that 18x18x24 let me know ;) Maybe if you ever come up this way i'll take it. I wanted to keep the overall feel very open. I need to take a trip down to Mansfield here soon and visit him. We are hopefully going to the Mansfield Reformatory this weekend so maybe I can convince the wife to make a pit stop beforehand

·
Registered
35 Posts
Saving to my “ideas album”! Thanks for sharing, it’s so helpful to us less creative types.
Can you tell me the name of that little round-leaf plant?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Are you worried about algae growth on your glass? Watching youtube videos on some of the tanks people have and see a ton of algae.

Putting the vent in the back of my tank really helped cut out the water buildup on my doors.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you worried about algae growth on your glass? Watching youtube videos on some of the tanks people have and see a ton of algae.

Putting the vent in the back of my tank really helped cut out the water buildup on my doors.

With the gap I have up front the doors stay clear and the tank is still over 80% humidity. Granted right now everything is sealed most of the day so it’s at 99% and temps around 76-78. Trying to get the moss mix to take. I also did leave a little spot in the back (currently plugged) that I can feed a wire though for a small PC fan if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Subscribed!

This build is awesome and it's going to look even more incredible once everything planted grows in!

And I love the no-background approach. Almost all of my favorite builds don't have one. I think they give a unique look, and if something was to happen in a worst case scenario, it's a lot less of a nightmare to tear everything down. My current build I'm working on is a 20h vert and it isn't going to have a background.

I might have missed it, but what inhabitants are you thinking about putting in the viv?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Subscribed!

This build is awesome and it's going to look even more incredible once everything planted grows in!

And I love the no-background approach. Almost all of my favorite builds don't have one. I think they give a unique look, and if something was to happen in a worst case scenario, it's a lot less of a nightmare to tear everything down. My current build I'm working on is a 20h vert and it isn't going to have a background.

I might have missed it, but what inhabitants are you thinking about putting in the viv?

I’m thinking a trio of nominal fants or 1.1 standard lamasi.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Final planting done (I think). Just need my Mistking and leaf litter and we're good to go!

Also, first life from the moss mix :)

Nice comparison from Driftwood placement / brom package /final plants

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Probably Microgramma lycopoidies or Microgramma piloselloides. Those are the two I ordered thorugh his ebay store.

Here’s what we could come up with plant wise:

Microgramma vacciniifolia nitida
Peperomia angulata l
Pilea sp.
Ficus panama lance leaf
cissus amazonica.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts