Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. For my 18 cube, I was originally intending to house 2 dendrobates tinctorious “azureus”, but after research, it might not be the best idea unless ledges are added. Was wondering, are there any dart frogs I can have a pair of in my 18 cube? I will insert a picture below. And if I have made the ledges right, could I house 2 azureus?
Blue Purple Azure World Water

Water Blue Purple Plant Underwater

Blue Natural environment Purple Fluid Organism

· Registered
32 Posts
Hello everyone. For my 18 cube, I was originally intending to house 2 dendrobates tinctorious “azureus”, but after research, it might not be the best idea unless ledges are added. Was wondering, are there any dart frogs I can have a pair of in my 18 cube? I will insert a picture below. And if I have made the ledges right, could I house 2 azureus? View attachment 312003
View attachment 312001
View attachment 312002
I think you’ll quickly find the answer will be no on here, the forum as a collective are pretty good on not advising animals for such a small enclosure.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about non-frog inhabitants? Spiders or mantises may be an option if you select the correct species.

*provided they’re legally acquired and legal to own in your country *
Didn’t really want spiders and mantises and have spent already a ton of money. Don’t really want to switch it up and end up with a bunch of unused materials

· Registered
38 Posts
Mantellas are a pretty good option to have in a smaller square footage. Care is relatively similar to darts, but they are definitely more socially oriented.
in an 18x18x18 you can house two of them quite easily (I have two Mantella viridis) in an 18x18x18 and they are doing quite well.

Some folks house 5 to 6 mantellas in a tank my size, but personally that seems a little bit much for me. At a minimum, I'd house two. They need companionship.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mantellas are a pretty good option to have in a smaller square footage. Care is relatively similar to darts, but they are definitely more socially oriented.
in an 18x18x18 you can house two of them quite easily (I have two Mantella viridis) in an 18x18x18 and they are doing quite well.

Some folks house 5 to 6 mantellas in a tank my size, but personally that seems a little bit much for me. At a minimum, I'd house two. They need companionship.
Do you know of any darts that can go in an 18 cube? And luecs? Maybe smaller tincs?

· Registered
38 Posts
Do you know of any darts that can go in an 18 cube? And luecs? Maybe smaller tincs?
I don't raise darts, so I am unfamiliar.

However, lurking around this forum has told me that an 18 cube is too small for most darts. Maybe there are some particular species that are okay in a tank that size, but I'd be hard pressed to find anyone here recommend you raise anymore than 2 darts in an 18 cube if you want to optimize health.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m very torn on this one. Although most people have told me 2 dendrobates tinctorious “azureus” are too many for an 18 cube, I have found multiple websites stating you can house 2 in an 18 cube.

· Registered
38 Posts
I’m very torn on this one. Although most people have told me 2 dendrobates tinctorious “azureus” are too many for an 18 cube, I have found multiple websites stating you can house 2 in an 18 cube.

Echoing the advice that I received in the past, places like NeHerp and Josh's Frog are financially driven. If they can sell you additional frogs, of course they will.

So, of course they will say you can have 2 or 3 darts in an 18 cube. Will the darts live. Yes. Will they thrive? Probably not.

What you'll quickly find out about the users of this forum is that their priority are the frogs. They want the absolute best conditions as serious hobbyists. If you're willing to cut corners, then by all means, go ahead. However, it isn't husbandry practice that would be echoed here.

So, in this case, you can either buy a new cube that's more suitable, think of a different species (e.g. I offered Mantellas as a very similar alternative), or just go forward with housing darts in the 18 cube.

· Administrator
5,124 Posts
Can you house them in it? Sure, it's not illegal, the frogs will fit, etc. Do I recommend that you keep them in it? No.

For reference the only species that I would keep in an 18x18" footprint (regardless of height) are Ranitomeya species and Oophaga pumilio. Everything else I own has a 36x18" footprint. I actually want to upgrade my Ranitomeya into bigger footprints as the more space they have the better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts