Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have my glass top cut today and I am trying to save a trip home.

So first and most important question ( i know have seen this in a thread, but can't find it with the search):

What dimensions should I cut the glass for my 18x18x18 Zoo Med?
I am not sure there is a real difference between laying the glass on the screen lid or just cutting out the notches and putting the glass directly "on" the tank. So either dimensions would be fine. Thoughts on advantages or disadvantages to these two methods are more than welcome.

Second Question: Should I have a full top, or leave some screen near the front for ventilation. I don't currently have any plants where air flow is crucial and i can always mod a full top to allow better air flow, but I am curious as to everyone's experience with these two options.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
On my zoo meds I cut the glass to be slightly larger than the screen area. This allows for overlap so that the plastic supports the weight of the glass. It also allows me to slide the glass back and forth to control the amount of ventilation. I can control humidity and temperature this way fairly easily. This method doesn't require any modification of the existing top or an exact cut of the piece of glass.

FWIW - The screen area is 15.5" X 15.5". I cut my glass sections to 16" x 16" allowing for a 1/4 inch overlap. I generally keep the glass pushed back so that about 1/4 inch of mesh is exposed for ventilation.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doug,

Perfect. Checks in the mail for the saved gas money.

The 20 minutes in saved drive time on a Friday evening is invaluable.

Cheers.

·
Registered
626 Posts
On my zoo meds I cut the glass to be slightly larger than the screen area. This allows for overlap so that the plastic supports the weight of the glass. It also allows me to slide the glass back and forth to control the amount of ventilation. I can control humidity and temperature this way fairly easily. This method doesn't require any modification of the existing top or an exact cut of the piece of glass.

FWIW - The screen area is 15.5" X 15.5". I cut my glass sections to 16" x 16" allowing for a 1/4 inch overlap. I generally keep the glass pushed back so that about 1/4 inch of mesh is exposed for ventilation.
How about for an 18x18x18 Exo Terra one?
Do you cut the glass smaller then?

Steve

·
Registered
835 Posts
For Exo Terra, remove the screen top a place it in your closet unmolested.

Cut 16.75 x 16.75. Ask them to break/cut to the short side. This allows clearance for the raised hinge covers in the front groove.

If you have the older style clip type Exo, I'll have to take measurements when I get home. I have one but purchased it with the glass top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts