Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a huge tank (180 gal.6fx2fx2f)and i want to make it vert and will host some R.variabilis will it be too big for them will they use all the 6 feets ?
thank !
P.S. : my englsih suck so sorry !

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not only that you need to consider that the side panel of the tank was never meant to take that much weight on it....i have no idea if it will be fine but i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not only that you need to consider that the side panel of the tank was never meant to take that much weight on it....i have no idea if it will be fine but i wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't hold up.
they store them at a local store verticaly for LONG periods of time, i think the glass is fine.

i have 2 55verts, and it is HARD to get any light to the bottom and the is like another 2' taller :eek:

anyway my vents use every square inch of the tank, best of luck to you if you attempt it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not only will you NOT be able to light it, frogs could easily fall or jump to their own suicide in there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the answer ! the glass is 3/4 thick so weight wont be a problem !
but i guess you guys are right with the light.....The only way i could do it is to mount the plant on the back ground and side and leave the center empty and use 8x 24'' t5ho this way i could put plant on the bottom ......

I think i will have to convince my wife to let me have that monster in the living room and do it 6 foot long

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Check out the 48" high build thread by Konton. He used lights down the side of his tank and it seems to be a great way to light something tall. You could also go for the canopy look, with a ton of bright folliage up top, and a more rooty/leafy/dark bottom.

And yeah, I dont thin you have to worry about frogs jumping to their death. There may be a tiny chance of this, but in the wild frogs are found WAY higher then 6'

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
If you're worried about the frogs falling from the top of the viv to the bottom just make sure they have plenty of things to slow their fall on the way down. :p

Ok in all seriousness thought, I've seen D. azureus and auratus fall at least 4 feet, onto concrete floors, and just walk away. Certainly not a good thing of course, but they survive. These frogs have a strong likelyhood of falling considerable distances in the wild. A tiny thumbnail isn't going to fall very far or very fast. Someone better at match could probably figure out what the terminal velocity for a tiny 1gram frog would be, but it isn't going to fall very fast.

As for the lighting issue, 6 feet of depth is going to be pretty challenging to light. If Todd is confident that his LED spots will get the job done for you, they probably will. You're still going to have to deal with the issues of lower plants getting shaded out.

Yes the tank side panel can take the weight. Fully support the glass on the bottom and not just the edges though. Have you thought how you're going to deal with the issue of the vertical door? Thats going to be a huge peice of glass and a lot of weight for the hinge to support. Also a big tank like that standing up will have a very high center of gravity, easy to get knocked over.Id design something up top to secure it to the wall.

Good luck and show off some pics if you decide to do this.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Not only will you NOT be able to light it, frogs could easily fall or jump to their own suicide in there.
I really doubt a 6 foot fall is going to kill any thumbnails. I've had a couple jump out of vivs @ 4-5 feet and be absolutely fine.... if you built the tank right, they will also be landing on a cushy layer of leaves a few inches thick. Doug, I had the terminal velocity sentence typed out before I read that.... I'm no physics major but I would tend to agree that a variabilis would probably not be traveling very fast. I've seen gray tree frogs jump off a 12-15' deck onto rocks next to a fish pond and be quite alright.

If properly planned, I don't think lighting would be a huge issue either.You could avoid the plants/light issue by using slim tree-like plants (i.e. certain dracaena) and/or sanseveria (sp?) on the ground, with broms, hanging vines, and other plants in the BG/sides.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You can possibly use some led spot lights from different position to hit the bottom.
ive been planning a huge vert like this and LEDs are the first thing that came to mind. you can try to use cree 3w, with 30* optics to get some light to the bottom and then have low light plants on the bottom if any. I wouldn't worry about the frogs falling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Or you could incorporate a light halfway in the viv like little light bar or cfl under a fake rock ledge so you can't see it until the light is on it would also help to heat the tank. Just idea it would light lower plants and won't be seen

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Or you could incorporate a light halfway in the viv like little light bar or cfl under a fake rock ledge so you can't see it until the light is on it would also help to heat the tank. Just idea it would light lower plants and won't be seen
That I definitely would not due. The environ of a viv is far too humid, you risk the CFL shattering, releasing murcury in the viv etc.. MAYBE if you could completely seal and waterproof it, but I really doubt that is possible. Any kind of electronics (other than those UL listed and specified for submersion ie pumps) INSIDE a viv is bad juju IMO.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Sounds like a horrible waste of a viv. Its footprint would make for much more usable space for terrestrial frogs,.

Michael

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would turn it on it's side and put two glass dividers in to make 3 2x2x2 cubes and put doors on the front. Could make 3 completely different habitats in there. Buts that's just me and what I would do with that sort of monster

1 - 20 of 32 Posts