Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my friend and I decided to setup a 180g tank for my thumbnails. I will post all the work in progress shots as well as the final product and links to videos on youtube. this is our first attempt at building a vivarium so please be nice:p all comments and critiques are welcome.

this is the empty tank:

My friend sculpting the tree trunk out of PVC pipes and GS:

silicon on the background:

GS on the background as well as placing all the roots:

putting peat on the GS:

ventilation system:

Lighting system:

final shots:

Video Links: coming soon

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
those pics are freakishly small and I con't make much out lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry about the small pics. realized what i did wrong. i will have the larger ones posted by tomorrow.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here are the pictures !

the vent system with a pc fan

the light fixture is a usa orbit 8x 39w t5ho maybe a bit too much i am doing temperature test right now and maybe removing 2 will help lower the temp
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/7070/img0087bx.jpg
final shot !

a nice orchid that already shoot me bunch of flower!

here is a shot where you can see my crystal red shrimp aquarium and my killies under the main tank

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I currently own 3 Variabilis 1 male singing 24/7 and 2 fat females i saw a tad a week ago in my smaller tank so will know how much i have when i transfer them in a couple of weeks and will add more plants from time to time

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no comment recommendation? or just a its nice would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Love the back ground.....I would add a bunch more leaf litter like live sand oak, live oak etc some of the smaller leaf litter....More leaf litter will help them hide while the plants grow in as well as help the microfauna population.... Love the R. variabilis....You add a few more if you wanted to with a tank that large they would be fine in a larger group....Tank is gonna look really nice once it gets grown in a bit.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would add to that group specially with a tank that large. I just sold my variabilis I loved them they was always out and in sight so I can just imagine with a tank that large if you had a large group

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
no comment recommendation? or just a its nice would be appreciated
I like the biggest root structure. They are going to love playing in a viv that big! I do have two recommendations. First, how about a nice ghost wood structure about 3/5 from either end. Just NOT dead center. I think it would give it some visual impact and they would love the addition of the "jungle gym". Second, if you look at the viv (as pictured below) just as an overview, what I see is an almost completely even shelf of green just barely above halfway up. It looks like most of the green plants are mounted at or close to the same level. I know when you look closer, there are others scattered around, but I think it would look more natural and just be more aesthetically pleasing to break up that shelf. Move a few up and down 6 or 8 inches.
oh forgot 1 ! :p

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
WOW. You could probably keep a bit more then three thumbnails in there. :p About 33 more, if you follow the one dart for every 5 gallons.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got some plant in today I got 5 ficus sp. panama cuttings and 3 selaginellas sp. central peru
I plan to put a couple more bromeliads in there but cant find any here in montreal that are suitable for my tank I'm looking for small neos i guess i will make a thread in the wanted section.

for the plant placement it doest really look like you guys said when you are sitting in front of it but i got the point!
Iwon't move the plants since the bulbophyllum corolliferum already started to establish i guess that when they start to invade the gs and branches it will less look like they are all at the same height

the little small orchid look really happy it send a lot of aerial roots into the gs in no time and there's 3 flower coming it's a kefersteinia mystacina really adapt really quick

The only advantage in living here in Laval is the orchid paradise a green house with thousand of orchid of a bunch of species

I have now 2 tads for sure in the smaller tank maybe a lot more that i cant reach with my eyes i will transfer the frogs in a week or 2 maybe more so i will get the tads out in the transfer progress

Should I put all the frog in at the same time if i plan to buy another 1.2 trio soon?
since they are breeding right now will they stop after the transfer since it will be another adaptation ?

my only concern for the big tank is the temp its 78.2 oF at the hottest is it too high? Its not a light problem, I find out that the room temperature is higher even during night(75.1oF)in the other rooms of the appartment it's 72.5 for the day n 67.9 for night except for where the tank is so i guess its my heat system in my appartment the problem

thank you for all the comment i enjoy reading them!
P.S. : could I put the link of the green house web site for my french canadian frogger ? or its forbidden? and where should i put it ?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts