1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
975 Posts
Giant geckos and knobtail geckos are two i can think of right off the bat. Some knobtails here in the US can go for a bit more than $1500 even. nephrurus asper is one of them and i think they even top te $2000 mark

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thats crazy! but what kid of gecko "reportedly sells for at least 50,000 pesos ($1,160)?"
I actually think that part maybe an exageration on the part of the news writer. These are geckos that are destined for the medicinal trade and not as pets, and of the top of my head I would be hardpressed to think of what species native to that area other than Tokays would even weigh in at the 30 gram figure used to illustrate the value to the smugglers.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I've talked to someone who has witnessed some of the animals collected for 'medicinal' purposes first hand, and they actually will feed the tokays to the point of morbid obesity, as the larger the animal is, the more it sells for. After seeing how huge some of the tokays are, it would not surprise me if the largest animals went for that amount (kind of like tuna).

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I actually think that part maybe an exageration on the part of the news writer. These are geckos that are destined for the medicinal trade and not as pets, and of the top of my head I would be hardpressed to think of what species native to that area other than Tokays would even weigh in at the 30 gram figure used to illustrate the value to the smugglers.
As I understood it , it was Tokays, and one article even says they are trying to change the law to give them protection, which in reality will do nothing, especially since the traditional medicine trade is involved.I wonder if I started a new, obscure religion could I keep Fiji Iguanas, I wonder.....?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I understood it , it was Tokays, and one article even says they are trying to change the law to give them protection, which in reality will do nothing, especially since the traditional medicine trade is involved.I wonder if I started a new, obscure religion could I keep Fiji Iguanas, I wonder.....?
Only dead ones Bill;) And you would probably have to claim erectile dysfunction first.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
so your snail juice cult finally went bust?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Not to make light of this, but I can think of few things more terrifying than being trapped in a wherehouse full of "Corn-Fed" Tokay Geckos.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I would be hardpressed to think of what species native to that area other than Tokays would even weigh in at the 30 gram figure used to illustrate the value to the smugglers.
Depends on how wide you want to consider the area, but as a broad defintion, off the top of my head over 30 grams would include Gecko vitattus, assorted Gehyra species, some of the Cyrtodactylus.....

Ed

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I've seen a few travel shows about SE Asia showing where they sell tokays on sticks in the markets...geckocicles, yum! I'm still confused about the prices in the article, seem a little inflated to me.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depends on how wide you want to consider the area, but as a broad defintion, off the top of my head over 30 grams would include Gecko vitattus, assorted Gehyra species, some of the Cyrtodactylus.....

Ed
I actually fat fingered my post, the article claimed 300 grams at which point you are in Uromastyx/Bearded dragon territory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts