Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished it last weekend (will have a couple of pictures of it up tonite).

sparsely planted(for now, would love some recommendations on where to get a few broms for it, though), with a rather small pool off to one side, and a waterfall leading into it.

question is this, i'm looking to get my first frog/frogs/froglets, in the next couple of weeks, and am curious what people think would be good for a tank that size.

like i said, i'll have pictures of the tank up soon, but feel free to shoot me some opinions whie i am at work. :)

btw, been lurking for awhile and wanna thank everyone here in advance for all the info you have all provided me.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Many links in the links section such as T&C Terrariums have great broms to purchase from what i heard. I have never ordered because where i live there are many local nurseries for tropicals.

Ryan

·
Registered
428 Posts
For your first frogs, I would avoid any of the thumbnails, like imitators or vents.
A couple or even three of either Leucs or Auratus would be good starter frogs for a 15 gallon tank. Make sure to provide plenty of hiding places.

Tim

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here are the pics i took tonite. not the best, but as good as i can do in crappy lighting.

http://www.highbrow-hijinks.com/frogs/tank/

only have a coulpe things planetd in it rght now. need ot get a couple broms for up higher. the lemon-drop fern should do nicely along with the creeping fig. the one i have hanging over the waterfall (has water running over it all the time) is form black jungle's big tank, they tok a clipping of it for me. said he wasn't sure exactly what it was, but cut off a good clump of it anyway. should do very well where it is. :)

there's also some java moss down by the water, but that didn't come out in the pics.

think there's enough space in there for a couple azur's?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Very nice looking tank. What type of background is that and what type of wood?

A trio of leucs or a pair of azureus would look great in that tank. I agree with Tim and would stay away from thumbnails for you first frogs. If you don't go with thumbnails there is really no need for bromeliads, unless you just really like the looks of them.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks.

the background is foam/coco and a couple pieces of cypress driftwood.

i don't like that there is nothing in the upper portion of the tank, so i'd like to get a couple broms to add some vertical terrain, i suppose.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jared J said:
Looks nice. I always liked high tanks. Clean off that glass and get a front view shot:)
i know i know. my rommate said the same thing. i just need to prop up the lid for a few hours and it will clear off a lot. i need to get a piece of glass cut this weekend so i can fit it with a screen for ventilation and i won't have that problem anymore. the lid on it now is just a standard 10g aquarium lid.

i'll see what i can do tonite for a better shot of the whole tank. think a pair of azur's will be alright in there, though?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Great tank! That lemon button fern should do well in there . . . perhaps too well. I had one that size in my 60 gallon that just got too big after about 1 year. I pulled out the parent plant, but still have little volunteers that pop up all over the tank. :shock: Well, all my friends have lemon button ferns potte up on their coffee tables now. :lol:

·
Registered
696 Posts
Just remember that darts don't swim too well. You may want to add something to climb out of the water with or make a really small life ring, but don't for get to post the "No lifeguard on duty" sign. :p Looks good so far, you always need to add more and rearrange esspecially if you don't have frogs yet.
Good Luck,
Mike

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, thanks for all the compliments, guys. i placed a half a square foot of collected moss when i got home from work today. found the stuff growing in the cracks of some stone walls near where i live. i don't think it'll last through the winter, but we'll see how it does. back when i was doing bonsai i had a lot of success with the stuff, so who knows...

can't wait for the herp show in manchester on the 23rd/24th. gonna hopefully pick up my azur's and see about getting another tank to start a new viv, need to give glasscages a call and see what will be available. :)

looking forward to showin off this tank with some frogs in it ;-)

G

·
nice tank, but did anyone else notice the freaky looking reflection of the man on the wall of the tank? Maybe its just me, but it was wierd. :shock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts