Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have had this tank from craigslist for a while now and have been procrastinating on cleaning it up. It originally had some super ugly beach wood looking trim, and the previous owners must have been heavy smokers because all of the silicone was yellow, rotting out, and just stunk of smoke. I felt sorry for whatever animals were living in it. So after taking off the old frame, I spent many many hours removing every single spec of silicone with a razor blade. I then resurfaced the glass with an orbital polisher and cutting glaze. After all this work I had some really nice glass to work with. At first I was going to just do a standart vert conversion but after I had already put so much work into prepping the glass I figured I might as well go all out. So I hit up the computer and designed what I want to build in 3d. For the most part it's a standard vert/euro conversion but I wanted to integrate an exhaust system that did not look like a DIY. I wanted something that was clean and also accessible for future maintenance/repair if needed.

So here are the plans and the start of the actual project enjoy.

Side

Front

Persp Closed

Fan Side Detail

Fan Detail

Fan Mesh Detail

Top Fan Detail

Cable Hold Detail

The start

I forgot to mention this tank is 5' x 2' x 2'.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
I plan to do something similar in the near future.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
are you planning on automated misting?

the fans will work well to keep the glass clear but you may want to mount them so that instead of forcing air into and out of the viv, they circulate the air. this will help to avoid swings in humidity.

what modeling program did you use? alias? solid works? rhino?
james

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This particular viv will not have automated misting, I will be hand misting as part of my daily rounds to this tank as it will house some cruziohyla calcarifer in it and they prefer it drier than darts do. The lower fans will be adjustable as the supports under it will be magnetic so I can simply slide them down to adjust the angle of the fans (these are 120 mm fans, I forgot to mention in my original post)

If it gets too dry I can slow down or turn off some of the fans. I think it will be fine though I currently have my pair of phyllomedusa bicolor in an all screen reptarium for over a year now with no negative effects. I should mention they always have access to a water bowl.

I used Autodesk Maya to model the tank.

EDIT: Even better solution would be to make it so that the top vent can have a piece of glass slide in front of it to close it off. I am a huge fan of having all the options weather they are used or not depends on the inhabitants. So a piece of glass it is! Thanks James!

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
you could screen the fan and mount it on a vertical hinge so that it could flip out perpendicular to the glass, and become a circulation fan if needed. :) that combined with the sliding glass would give you every possible option.

james

·
Registered
359 Posts
Subscribed. This gonna be interesting ;)

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
Well however it turns out, you win the award for best vivarium blueprints ever! Beats my 5minute MS Paint mock ups all to hell ;) If you want it sleek looking put Duck brand 1/4 Air-conditioning foam filter material over the front where the fans are instead of mesh. Airflow will be nearly as good, will look much nicer.

or

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well however it turns out, you win the award for best vivarium blueprints ever! Beats my 5minute MS Paint mock ups all to hell ;) If you want it sleek looking put Duck brand 1/4 Air-conditioning foam filter material over the front where the fans are instead of mesh. Airflow will be nearly as good, will look much nicer.
Awesome dude thanks! I was looking for something better than screen but I didn't know what I could put there that wouldn't restrict airflow.

Any chance anyone knows where I can get aluminum e-track and not the plastic ones? I did a search but only found the plastic ones listed. Unless the plastic one will be sturdy enough to support a 4' piece of glass. Also do you guys think I should put the slider wheels on the glass or just bare track?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Great project, now that's a vert tank.. cant wait to see how it comes along.
as far as the door goes it's probably a better idea to add the slider wheels that's a pretty big door. what type of lighting do you plan on running?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking about using a 4x24" T5 HO light fixture, however after researching it more it seems more cost effective to use a pair of 2x24" ones instead. Anyone know which brands are good as far as T5 lights go?

Good call on the wheels as each piece of glass is pretty heavy.

Julio, the fans will be adjustable and now thanks to James' post earlier have the ability to be completely closed off with their own glass doors.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Awesome tank! Looking forward to this build! May i ask where and how you used the orbital polisher and cutting glaze? i have a used tank and i could really use to buff up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Awesome tank! Looking forward to this build! May i ask where and how you used the orbital polisher and cutting glaze? i have a used tank and i could really use to buff up.
I did the polishing on my living room floor using my porter cable orbital polisher.
http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html
I originally bought this tool for my car and I swear I use it more for random polishing jobs than for my car.:D

and I used this system,
Diamondite® Glass Repair System Kit polishes out scratches in auto glass windshields and windows. Diamondite Glass polish restore car glass.

But to be honest all you really need is a cutting disc and the glass resurfacing creme, and of course the polisher. I think you can rent polishers from autozone. You will want an orbital one as the straight polishers can really do a ton of damage if you're not experienced.

This will remove pretty much any water spots, etching, stains and light scratches and swirls. It WILL NOT remove gouges and scratches you can catch your fingernail on.

Hope this helps, I was planning on hitting up the Home Depot and Fry's today but the rain has started and I am not much of one to get soggy and wet so I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to go get the fan and screening materials.:(

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok so today it was nice and sunny so I took a ride down to Fry's (the local electronics store) and had all intentions of buying a particular fan I had researched on the internet before. However, upon arriving I found an unexpected gem, a computer fan which was completely coated in rubber! It seemed to have all the desired elements as the other model I wanted such as 70,000 hr lifespan, dual ball bearing, ultra silent, and a sturdy construction build. So I took a chance and bought 4 of these home instead. When I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised with the quality, very nice smooth rubberized coating on all exposed parts and it even coats the inside rim! Even the mounting hardware included rubber bumpers to reduce vibrations, and of course the rubber is awesome because it will be naturally more water resistant. Also it was very nice on the inside cover it had flow charts of the cfm the fans put out on various rpm settings! This was very convenient as now I have a rough idea of what each speed will be moving volume wise.

Cfm chart.

test fit.

Then I went to the Home Depot and picked up some screening supplies.
The instructions say a hack saw is used to cut the frame but I tried this and it was very difficult to keep the cut straight and smooth, and it took a while to cut through it. So with the help of my trusty dremel we made short work of the aluminum frame. ( I will probably be redoing the frame because the initial use of the hack saw caused some superficial scratches on the frame and as I stated earlier I don't want this to look like it was a DIY)

Nice Clean wrinkle free install of the screen.:D

Top view under better light.

Detail view of slide.

Test fit over fans. (Ordered the air conditioning filter last night, thanks Dave!)

Thats it for now more to come soon!

·
Premium Member
3,661 Posts
Be careful, if your screens are long and you pull the screen tight as you're putting the spline in - the long edges will "bow" in a little kinda like )(

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Be careful, if your screens are long and you pull the screen tight as you're putting the spline in - the long edges will "bow" in a little kinda like )(
Yeah I can slightly see it in the last picture, but I am not sure if it's just the phone camera lens distortion or if it's really bending. In person I can't see the bend and it sits or my square perfectly flush. I will keep that in mind though as I make the next 3 screens. I also forgot to mention I am using fiberglass screen in case anyone was wondering. It's a lot easier to keep smooth and doesn't kink like aluminum does.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts