Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much! It's still a work in progress. It's my first viv. It is in my 16 year old son's room. He helped me build it.
Thinking thru my plans for my 2nd viv to build next year. My daughters would love me to put one in their room. It will be two towers...38 inch tall verts with a flat screen TV in between them. It will be this adapted over...

Thanks again, Chris.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Very cool! I like both! Okay, so what material did you use for the waterfalls and how do you get the water not to soak through to the dirt? I tried to do something like this and I thought that pond foam (the black kind) would not let water seep through, but I was wrong. It soaks the foam and the water gets to my substrate so I had to end up using just java moss for my bottom.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
How ya doing buddy? I'm happy to see things going so well for you.
Wait till all those male leucs start calling lol. With 12 of them you're gonna have at least 4-5 males if not more. I bet you'll get 2-3 calling at anyone time. That's gonna sound sweet.

Are you really converting that piece of furniture into two vivs? That would be pretty amazing if you pulled that off. Always be a little wary of using furniture for a viv. Only because that's not what it was meant for so you may run into problems with the wood, or finish on the furniture. You're a smart guy and I'm sure you've already thought about that though.
In any case...can't wait to see your next build progress over time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thank you so much! It's still a work in progress. It's my first viv. It is in my 16 year old son's room. He helped me build it.
Thinking thru my plans for my 2nd viv to build next year. My daughters would love me to put one in their room. It will be two towers...38 inch tall verts with a flat screen TV in between them. It will be this adapted over...

Thanks again, Chris.
Wow they are definitely love that!! If I had a television in between 2 vivs I know I would never even turn the tube on lol! I would just sit and relish in the great view of the vivs!!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Looks awesome!!! Can't wait to talk with you this weekend about it!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very cool! I like both! Okay, so what material did you use for the waterfalls and how do you get the water not to soak through to the dirt? I tried to do something like this and I thought that pond foam (the black kind) would not let water seep through, but I was wrong. It soaks the foam and the water gets to my substrate so I had to end up using just java moss for my bottom.
Unfortunately, mine didn't seal as well as I would have liked either. I used pool liner to line the water way and the GS for ponds(black stuff)to buiild around it. Still leaks some.
Fortunately, my "just-in-case" plan worked.;) It all feeds/falls into the false bottom where I maintain 6 inches of water that a canister filter pulls it and pumps it back to the top. I actually plumbed 2 canister filters into the system. One feeds to the top of the waterfall and another is built to pump at the beginnning of the creek to give it extra flow. The 2nd one is overkill. I just use the waterfall pump.

-Chris.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How ya doing buddy? I'm happy to see things going so well for you.
Wait till all those male leucs start calling lol. With 12 of them you're gonna have at least 4-5 males if not more. I bet you'll get 2-3 calling at anyone time. That's gonna sound sweet.

Are you really converting that piece of furniture into two vivs? That would be pretty amazing if you pulled that off. Always be a little wary of using furniture for a viv. Only because that's not what it was meant for so you may run into problems with the wood, or finish on the furniture. You're a smart guy and I'm sure you've already thought about that though.
In any case...can't wait to see your next build progress over time.
Hey Jon,
I'm doing real well. How are you doing?
Yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing them call. I really enjoy them. They are very active. It's fun to watch them interact. The other day I had one putting on a show(some kind of impersonation, I think) and two others sitting hip-to-hip just watching. Funny as hell. I was busy calling my wife and kids to come see and didn't have the sense to quickly record it. :)
As far as the hutch, yeah, I'm definitely planning on it! Like I said, it probably won't be for another 6 months or so before I can get started, but that leaves me plenty of time to think and plan. Most of it is glass and mirror that will be exposed to the vivs. The corner uprights, the top, and the bottom is the wood I have to worry about. Initial thoughts are marine epoxy and/or silicone to cover any exposed wood. Lots of other plans and thoughts already kicking around in my head, but I'll save them for when I get closer to starting it and a build thread to accompany it.
Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks awesome!!! Can't wait to talk with you this weekend about it!
Thanks Brian! Looking forward to seeing you and some other Indiana froggers this weekend. Anyone is more than welcome to swing past and take a look after the meeting. I'd love to get some advice and criticism to improve my setup!
Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just changed my avatar, but failed to share it earlier. My kids have named each of the original six Leucs and identify them by the spot on their heads. My daughter did a great job of making the following pic that is now posted on our tank...

I love it.

She has started taking pics of our newest 6 family members and my wife has already named two. One has what looks like an upside-down question mark on its back...it is the Riddler! Another one is considerably larger than the others...it is the Hulk.

As I mentioned, our current tank is in my son's room and he can just lay in bed and have the view at his feet. I'm jealous!;) Seeing how much my daughters have enjoyed the tank and frogs, then that is the reasoning(and my daughter's idea) to place the future twin tower viv in their room. It also means they'll probably get a flat screen TV for christmas and the setup will replace the current entertainment center. Once again, I'm jealous!

Overall, I'm very thankful to be in the hobby and that my family enjoys it too.:) Thanks again to everyone for all the compliments, advice, knowledge, and warnings.;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A few more pics I took today...

A little bit wider shot using add-on lens for my wife's iphone-

Another-(How many of Leucs can you spot?)

Fisheye for the frogeye-

Someone knows where to go for a photo shoot-

This is one of our new ones...his name is Scream(see image on his back)-

Another new one...his name is "The Riddler"(See "?" on his back)-

These were pics on iphone today. Main purpose today was for a professional photographer(my Mom...lol) to take a few today. Hope to post tomorrow.

Thanks, Chris.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts