Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
always wanted to set this tank into a Viv, but never had the oppurtunity becaue it was full of fish. after 5 yrs of fish care i had a few die off, and it opened up the door to set up a big Viv..
i wanted to make it simple, a big Tree or log and bunch of plants.
first day of set up

i did not want to foam or glue anything to the back in-case i wanted to go back with fish or Saltwater..

a few weeks after setup

about 2 months after setup.

i got a few orchids to hang off the side of the tank. instead of glueing to the wall, i got these orchids already attached to hooks and hung them from suction cups.

ok so i wanted to make this a cummunity tank, figured it is big enough to have 2 different
species. so i have at the momment 7 Vanzolini and 4 Chrome Basleri in the tank. Just got the Chrome Basleri today from Understory. i think i might get 2 or 3 more depending on the Ratio of male female. the Vanzolini are awesome - i have already herd calling. they group together in groups of 4 and 3 on 2 different sides of the tank.

i hope i never have to move anytime soon,,,,,

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have had abesio pepperi for about 3 yrs and they I guess are a real close relative, and they will not eat anything bigger then a fly. Tried to free then small crickets, they did not even try. I'm Not worried
Cool. I don't work with thumbs or Ameerega, so it's entirely possible that my concern was misplaced. Good luck with them.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Nice, I think a background would spruce it up a bit. Hard to find frogs in there I bet. How long did it take for those baby tears to grow that big? :D

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
That's a great looking tank... Although a background would be nice, IMO it looks good as-is. Nice work.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
few weeks on the baby tears.... grew fast..
i wanted to do the background but i doid not want to spend that much money on the foam and chork and other wood... pluss i work with saltwater tanks and lets just say for some reason this tank crashes, i wanted to be able to go back to saltwater with little to no clean up.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Looks great. Don't love the blue background but the plants should cover it eventually. Love the frog choice! Two awesome species :)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that Chromes came that blue. Mine have pretty blue bellies, but that blue frog is pretty incredible. All three of mine are pretty mint green.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so it has been about 7 months and the frogs are doing great. i took the vanzos out of the tank awhile ago.
still have 7 chrome basleri, no die off. they love the large open space and are not shy at all.
just noticed that i have 5-8 tads in the water area of the tank. this is beeter then i expected. it took almost 2 years for my pepperi to breed and i have only had these guys for less then a year.
i think i have 4 females and 3 males in the tank. i have never found eggs in the tank and they have not laid in the huts yet...
>>
cant wait for these guys to come out of the water - will keep all posted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
so it has been about 7 months and the frogs are doing great. i took the vanzos out of the tank awhile ago.
still have 7 chrome basleri, no die off. they love the large open space and are not shy at all.
just noticed that i have 5-8 tads in the water area of the tank. this is beeter then i expected. it took almost 2 years for my pepperi to breed and i have only had these guys for less then a year.
i think i have 4 females and 3 males in the tank. i have never found eggs in the tank and they have not laid in the huts yet...
>>
cant wait for these guys to come out of the water - will keep all posted.
very nice tank, amazing size to work on!! why did you remove the vanzos out? was there any problem with the bassleris?

congrats for this tads! an actual photo, and one of the water area, will be very cool as well:)

greetings!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i took the vanzos out beacue honestly they just were not putting on weight and i lost a few. i think the tank was just too big....
but the chromies do great

what i did with the water area was just take a rubbemaid container and sorounded with the substrate... then took another of the same container and put it inside the other so i could change out when ever i wanted with out messing up the tank.
since i have tads in this one i will take out and replae with anotehr and wait for more tads
took a few pitcures...(love the Iphone)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Very nice!! I think this is one of the better mixing tanks! So much visual barriers, and heavily planted.

Can I see it all grown in please?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts