Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
No frog should be housed in something of this size. This size of tank should only use be used as a growout tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What common terrarium size would you recommend? I have s 10 gallon aquarium but was interested in a front opening tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
Of the commonly available sizes of ZooMed and Exo Terra, I like to start at 18x18x24 and go bigger from there as the case and budget allow.

Mark

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Depends on species. I recomend nothing smaller than 50x50x50cm or 40x40x60cm for most thumbnails.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The one thing I will add is that larger tanks are simply more interesting. There's more opportunity to view the frogs being athletic, prowling, moving around etc.

I think going too small cheats not only the frogs but the viewer as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It would be the bare mnimum for the types of frogs you are considering. (Think 10 gallons per frog). The 12x12x18 will yield about 10 gallons of space after your substrate is in. Just do your research and plant / set it up with plenty of hides. A 12x12x18 is an affordable means of getting gointo the hobby.

·
Super Moderator
3,304 Posts
It would be the bare mnimum for the types of frogs you are considering. (Think 10 gallons per frog). The 12x12x18 will yield about 10 gallons of space after your substrate is in. Just do your research and plant / set it up with plenty of hides. A 12x12x18 is an affordable means of getting gointo the hobby.

A 12 x 12 x 18 Exo has interior dimensions of about 0.5" less - so 11.5 x 11.5 x 17.5. Two inches under egg crate/ false bottom/Matala plus 3" ABG = height of 12.5. This gives 11.5 x 11.5 x 12.5 = 1653 cubic in = 7.2 gallons.

On "affordability": An 18 x 18 x 24 has 2.25X the footprint, 3X the volume, and is only twice the price. I know that "affordable" usually means "cheapest", but maybe another metric is more appropriate.

Not knockdown arguments here, and I'm not giving any recommendations, but these are things to think about. I like to think of 'bare minimum' situations as being reasonably recommended only to very experienced keepers, since they have the knowledge needed to successfully live on the edge. Those with less experience should use sufficient equipment to buffer their lack of knowledge and experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts