Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there with experience keeping a larger number of PDFs in a large vivarium? I have a 120g tank (48"L x 24"H x 24"D) that was going to be used for a reef take, but after waiting for a long time (saving the money up), my wife told me that PDFs would be cheaper and I have always wanted to try them. So here I am.
I have be reading a lot and have seen several species that are better than others when kept in a group. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Well, I dunno about cheaper... They're like potato chips, once you have some you just can't stop! :lol:

Seriously, though... If you haven't set up a viv yet, I'd reccommend starting with a smaller tank. Maybe set up a 10 or 20 gallon first to get the basics down, because the bigger the tank, the bigger the challenge, and the bigger the problems. There are people here who started with big tanks, so it is possible, but you'll probably want to start smaller. Plus you'll probably be getting frogs as juviniles, and it's much easier to keep track of them in a smaller environment.

As for the type of frogs, it is possible to keep groups of Dendrobates tinctorius or D. azureus, as long as they have enough space. I wouldn't advise it of a beginner though, since the females of these species are known to fight and even kill one another. I wouldn't suggest thumbnails either, since they're darn small, escape artists, and most are more or less shy. You don't want frogs you'll never see, at least not as your first. Good starter frogs are D. leucomelas, D. auratus, and Phyllobates terribilis. Leucs and terribilis are brightly colored and (for the most part) very bold and visible frogs that can easily be seen.

Good luck and post often. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my wife told me that PDFs would be cheaper

erm, just a bit, for a full on 120G reef, with two reactors, lights and all the trimmings your lookin at at least £3,000, and thats on the cheap, all you'd have to do then is fill it. and a 120 will probably cost about £2,000 to fill with nice SPS & LPS corals. That is if your looking at a stony reef.

A soft coral reef could be done for half the price, maybee less.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To start with, for Arklier. As for potato chips, I think it is past that. Possible full blown obsession. Thanks for the advice. I have 2 10g, an unsexed D. azureus in each, and a 20g long, with a sexed pair of D azureus. I have plans to turn an "unused" back closet into a rack system. Possibly use 10g tanks up vertical for adult(s) and a smaller rack system for the juveniles. My other thought was to turn the 120 into a large vivarium, without frogs in it. My wife and I love the idea of having a slice of jungle in our main room. Thannk you. :p

For mouse, thank you for the price reminder. I am sorry that I didn't elaborate on my past a little more. It seems that I have this little problem that I can't go cheep when it comes to my pet endeavors. I have had 4 saltwater tanks in the past 10 years, and they have gotten bigger and more expensive each time. This last time, what the 120g was intended for, I had plans for a water filtering area (a small bathroom in the back of my house) with plumbing up to the front, where the tank is located. I was going to incorporate an automatic water change system, refugium on a reverse daytime lighting schedule. I was planning more of a Indo-Pacific biotope, with PVC supported live rocks. The "worst" part of the deal was when I bought the tank, I purchased the lights with it, brand new. A Hamilton duel 175W metal halide and 110 VHO combo. Hopefully, I will still one day get to use them. Thanks. :roll:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mouse said:
my wife told me that PDFs would be cheaper

erm, just a bit, for a full on 120G reef, with two reactors, lights and all the trimmings your lookin at at least £3,000, and thats on the cheap, all you'd have to do then is fill it. and a 120 will probably cost about £2,000 to fill with nice SPS & LPS corals. That is if your looking at a stony reef.

A soft coral reef could be done for half the price, maybee less.

:shock: well your prices in London must be way higher then here in north america. I have a 210g reef tank that cost me about $2000 to set up with out livestock. My frogs were cheaper but not by alot, i have a 46g bowfront and with frogs and stand tank and pumps and everything it came out to over $1000.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a 135g reef and probably spent a couple grand setting it up and have probably exceeded that stocking it. I don't even want to think what we've spent stocking it..........

On the other hand we've set up a 75g for our frogs and spent a couple hundred setting it up and expect to pay the same stocking it, so the frogs are most definitely less expensive.

I guess it all depends on what equipment you get, whether it's new or used on how much it's going to cost. On our frog setup we don't have a misting system, but plan on spending between 30-50 for a diy job. A fish only salt tank is much less expensive than a reef tank. A reef tank is most definitely going to suck up the money.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree on all the prices. I have spent over $5000.00 on a 55gal reef aquarium before. This is mostly stocking it with fish, corals, etc. The prices here (Central Kentucky) are around $35 for a small coral (i.e. Green Stars, Mushrooms, Leathers, etc), and one can get a little crazy when stocking. The fish are about equal, when your talking about the average fish, and goes up the more exotic you get. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 46 bow was 200 the stand was 150, frogs were about 400, pumps and filters were about 100 various cork bark and substrate and plants where probly 100. Then a misting system was 200. But these are all canadian prices as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts