Dendroboard banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
0.0.3 Dendrobates Leucomelas
58 Posts
Really loving the idea of a biotope/biotype Vivarium. The dart frog hobby is so creative and people always seem to have an amazing imagination and capacity for research like this. Loving that street view - what a great tree to base your build off.

In terms of misting, perhaps look into the rain nozzles from Dendroshop in Germany - they can deliver to netherlands I'm sure. That might give a more natural feel which I think you're going for. If drilling in holes from the top, you have an advantage over other vivariums that might have their misting nozzles only at the front, ruling out vertical rainfall.

For sure the most contentious part of the build on this forum will be the beach and water area, as it doesn't benefit the Pumilio. With the size of the Vivarium, the usable space area would be larger than, say, an 18x18x36 vivarium, but I would consider whether it is worth sacrificing half(?) of the vivarium for visual aesthetics. A couple alternatives could be a sandy corner with a small amount of water, or even building an aquarium beside the vivarium. The design considerations of a water feature are often more hassle than they're worth, but if you're set on it and are prepared to take it out if things go wrong before adding frogs then that is probably the best way to learn!

With a 360 degree view of vivarium, consider a couple things:

1. A lot of keepers I've spoken to have experienced positive changes to the frogs' boldness when covering 2 or more sides of the glass - likely due to them being more secure. I am a big fan of backgrounds, as when done correctly they can add to the usable space of a vivarium (sleeping in cork bark etc.), but even covering with a black film outside will allow less external light into the viv and therefore give more of a sense of security for the inhabitants.

2. For access to frogs and plants, definitely try and gear the vivarium to face one way, even if it is viewable from other sides. This will make your life easier in the future, especially if trying to catch little froglets or trim plants. From the designs it looks as if you want the tank to open on to the back of the tree - I would rethink that, but I do not know where the viv will be sitting in your space.

Bastimentos seem like a perfect choice for this build, and from general consensus will be larger and bolder than Escudo.

iNaturalist and GBIF could give some inspiration on plant choice.

Good luck on this project :)

· Registered
0.0.3 Dendrobates Leucomelas
58 Posts
I had some doubts about the fact that there is only a single hardscape feature and that it might look empty and bland after i'd spent ages building it.... so i decided to teach myself blender rendering today and it turned out way better than expected! Makes me even more excited to build this thing:
View attachment 309872
Just wow. The idea to use blender and then the creation here is really stunning. Looks like you've given me a new hobby - I have far too many plans for tanks in my head and what a great way to bring them to life.

I didn't know about the dendroshop. Thank you for telling me. More natural rain is definitely something I'd want.
For a long time the idea was to make an actual rain system like spirit-of-jungle and Troy goldberg have done. But Id want to filter the rainwater to be used again and I think that will cause a lot of headaches down the line. Of course you'd do water changes but still
I also think the raindrops will splash dirt onto the bottom 10-20 cm's of the glass which I don't want. If I can find a way around that I might still go for an actual rain system.

I plan to have roots, palm tree 'twigs' and seed pod like stuff there on the beach area but I agree with you that it is too big in its current iteration. More 'bioactive' space and space for leaf litter would be much better, especially for pumilio.
I think I'll do 2 sandy corners that are connected with a small 5-10cm ish sandy side.

You also talk about a water feature but I don't plan on having one.

I haven't thought about the 360 degree thing making the frogs more shy so it's good that you tell me. I think it's a sacrefice of this design.
Let's hope they'll show themselves. I'll try to lure them out of the bromeliads( I'd they even go there) by feeding on the ground near a piece of banana or something.

The Vivarium is next to a wall in my house, the front glass will have no door but both side pieces will have a door. I think everything will be very well accessable.

At a first glance the Naturalist website seems great for finding plants. Exactly what I was looking for actually. Thank you!

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk
All of this sounds great. I am really excited to watch this project come to life. As another member said, I really hope you carry on with it!

As for background, you could even consider black film on the back, which would allow less light in, plus not distracting too much from the natural look you're going for. This is a consideration for later and can be easily changed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts