Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I finally finished the 115gl sans cabinet and hood. It measures 36" x 24" x 22" with substrate. This is a shot of the front of the tank.

I've gone ahead and figured out where plants should probably go. These areas are indicated by the circles. Of course this is not definite and i'm open to any and all suggestions.

Red = Bromeliad
Blue = Epiphyte
Green = Fern
Yellow = Background cover plant
I know that these are the general type of plant I would like in those areas, but not sure which species would do nicely...that's what I have you guys for :)

The drainage is 1-1.5" of LECA, then eggcrate, so the substrate will for sure not be waterlogged or too moist. The substrate is a homemade mix of:

2 parts coco fiber
2 parts orchid bark
2 parts sphagnum moss
1.5 parts peat moss
1 part fine charcoal
And the surface has some buggy dirt sprinkled on it.

The substrate will be covered with leaves, but I want to fill it in with plants so that it won't look so bare. No idea what to put there though.

Misting will be accomplished with 4-5 nozzles using a MistKing system. Not sure on the number of nozzles yet.

The lights on the tank will be 3 x 96w Compact Fluorescent lights. So that should be taken into account when figuring out which plants should be towards the top. I thought epips would be good since they will most likely dry out in the light between mistings, and will tolerate the heat from the lights. Not sure if broms will make it up there. However, i'm more a fan of broms than epips, so if that would work, then i'll go that route.

There is quite a lot to take into account here, but i'm sure many of you have a boatload of experience with planting and substrate, temps, lighting etc. I appreciate all the help.

Luke

P.S. More pics in my gallery.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Sounds good and looks great.
I usually try to plan out my vivs too...but usually end up doing something a lot different than I had originally planned.
Have fun!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anybody else have any plant suggestions?

Luke

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Now is the time of the year to buy orchids. Only this time is good. Why? Because orchids should only be transplanted when they begin growing root tips. I learned the hard way, and killed my orchids by moving them during their active growth. The roots die off and will not grow back until NEXT year.

however, an orchid that survived is beginning to grow roots and is perking up in my new DIY tank...as the photoperiod is increasing.

Its best not to put anything attached to the root ball of the orchid in a vivarium, or it will rot off. Daily misting of RO water or distilled is a good idea, and it should root to cork. I wouldn't attach it to coco panels, as it will get too wet.

Phaleonapsis is your best bet because they like it warm. Dendrobiums and others will grow too tall and need cool nights to flower.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
986 Posts
Rain_Frog said:
Now is the time of the year to buy orchids. Only this time is good. Why? Because orchids should only be transplanted when they begin growing root tips.
I have bought and placed orchids at various times of the year without troubles. You just need to know the idisyncrasies of your particular species.

Phaleonapsis is your best bet because they like it warm. Dendrobiums and others will grow too tall and need cool nights to flower.
Generally speaking, Phals are the ones that need to have 1-2 month periods where the night temps are at least 10-15 degrees cooler than daytime temps, usually into the mid 60's. They tend to grow well in terraria, but most I have are too large to place in terraria.

The genus Dendrobium has incredible diversity in the care required for different species, as well as the size. Some will have canes as large as 6 feet tall. Some have canes as small as 4" at maturity. I like to try Dendrobiums from the sea level rainforests of New Guinea, Java, and other areas where it is hot and humid at all times, as that is similar to the conditions we provide. I have had a Dendrobium 'Emma White' in my terrarium for 3 years now, and it has flowered every 6 months without fail. It is beginning to get rather large, however (18" canes). If you are interested in orchids for the terrarium, consider doing some research on http://www.orchidspecies.com under the Bulbophyllum, Dendrobium, and Pleurothallid Alliance orchids. Phrags and Paphs can do well in terraria, also.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have quite a few orchids growing in my various tanks, and i have planted them at all times of the year. I have had very good luck with paphs, smaller cattleyas (plant these near the top of the tank closer to the light, and only if you have a bright light) oncidiums, and some of the smaller dendrobiums. I have not had very much success with phals in my tanks. The only one i have managed to keep alive is one p. amabilis, and it isn't that great looking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts