Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys.

I am disheartened as I have not been able to find any vertical vivariums over 100 gallons. Lots of 10's 20's 30's and "tall" exoterras but I want the true Portrait style tall vivarium in my apartment.

First off are the goals.

[1] LIGHTWEIGHT- I have two flights of narrow stairs separating my apartment from the outside world and transporting large tanks in the past has been tricky and dangerous.
[2] Not likely to shatter
[3] Ability to take apart for my upcomming move (~1 yr)
[4] Easy to clean

[5] Not too overbearing, lots of small details adding to the big picture
[Euro style ventilation to keep the door relatively water droplet free
[6]False bottom?? I would like to have minimal soil, lots of leaf litter but not much in the way of soil. I want most of the plants to be rooted to the backwall and outhanging wood
[7] Mistking irrigation

Here is my basic design right now for the tank.

I"m ordering 1/4 inch acrylic from a local plastic fabrication company.
-Its 22" by 22" by 4.5 feet tall
-It will have a 2 inch lip on the front
-The tube lights I have 4" T5 growth lights will be mounted inside the tank in the corner as seen in the diagram.
-There will be a 22" by 2" vent at the front top of the tank for a metal screen.
-Eurovent will be installed by cutting probably 6" off the bottom of the lid combined with the 22"X2" slice taken from the top. (not in the diagram yet)

Here is my old build where I learned how to not do a backwall properly and be impatient. I did a good job on the false bottom, however. It was a learning experience. I sold it for 60 bucks the other day. It was a 62 gallon.

This is my other hobby. Tarantulas. Specifically the Poecilotheria genus from India and Sri Lanka.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Plants so far

(this 90 gallon tank is too heavy so I am getting rid of it.)

Broms
1 Neoregelia Amandae
1 Neoregelia Superball
1 N. Babe x Red Waif
2 N. Lilliputiana x Pineliana
1 N. Not Domino
2 N. (Albiflora x Red Waif) x Tristis
1 N. (Carolinae x Fireball) x Carolinae x Fireball
1 Portea Nana
1 N. Caviar
1 N. Mac Mar
2 N. Blushing tiger
1 N. fireball

ferns
1 Nephrolipis cordifolia "Lemon Button" lemon fern
1 Japanese painted fern
1 unknown fern, bottom right
Can anyone suggest placements for these species.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here is an old build of my 150 vert, movers destroyed it when I moved so I never got to really use it. But it may have some ideas for you or mistakes to learn from.

When I decide to start this build again I will make the tank out of plywood except the front and top. That way I can keep the weight down and also peace of mind from being destroyed during a move.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( Do you think that being acrylic would reduce the chance of it being destroyed?

Thanks for that thread, I am surprised it did not come up in my search.

Here is my updated sketch. Not nearly as detailed as yours is.

My fans will be internalized.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure yet how I want to attach the large door. It will be heavy. I like a strong magnet idea but I'm not sure where it will pivot.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Checkout my thread I have a large vertical tank and I use a living hinge and strong magnets for a front door

·
Registered
599 Posts
1/4 inch? Seems like it would warp...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is an old build of my 150 vert, movers destroyed it when I moved so I never got to really use it. But it may have some ideas for you or mistakes to learn from.

When I decide to start this build again I will make the tank out of plywood except the front and top. That way I can keep the weight down and also peace of mind from being destroyed during a move.
Why? I don't understand.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am worried about warp too but with the 2 inch rim around it I think it should hold fairly well.

It's all about keeping the weight down. I can go to 3/8ths but the price will increase. its a tradeoff.

Yeah that thin glass was sketchy from the beginning it looked very dangerous in that thread.

Giga, yes I've been following your beautiful tank. It inspired me to do this one!. I somehow missed the detail of the hinge. I'll go back and find it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Why? I don't understand.
Because when the movers delivered my tank it was in pieces when it arrived. So I would go with plywood so next time it's extremely sturdy.

I am worried about warp too but with the 2 inch rim around it I think it should hold fairly well.

Yeah that thin glass was sketchy from the beginning it looked very dangerous in that thread.
The glass was actually from an existing 150 gal reef tank so the thickness was fine but I think it was the flexing that ended up destroying it when they moved it, and I think it's because the tank no longer had the plastic frames around it on the top and bottom. I will say the back pane which was 1/2" tempered glass was unscathed.

I think your plexi will be fine but maybe consider a support frame to prevent warping/flexing.
EDIT: I didn't see the frame you mentioned. It should be fine then as long as the framing material is strong enough to resist the plexi.

·
Registered
841 Posts
i will be building a tank of very similar dimensions out of glass sometime next year. i would be worried about the heat that will come off of 2 t5s. with them in the viv all the wattage will go into heat production excepting what is captured by the plants for growth. t5s kick of alot of heat. my build will be lit by a diy led over the top. using narrow optics to get good light penetration.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also a very good concern. This worries me aswell. Perhaps I should ditch the t5's if they indeed get too hot and go the LED route. 50/50 DMG leds that Frog Cube uses look great. But very expensive!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
UPDATE!

I found Lexan (polycarbonate) sheets X2 for 360$ at 3/8th inch thick!

I am getting them cut by the end of this week and will most likely be assembling the tank shortly thereafter.

Changes

- Lexan (polycarbonate) instead of acrylic (plexiglass)
- 3/8" thickness instead of 1/4"
-4.5 feet tall instead of 4'
-23" wide and deep instead of 22"

Updates

-I received my order of bromeliads and they are looking sweet. I mounted them for the time being in my greenhouse tank (Pics below)

-Ive ordered a bunch of live spanum moss

- Ive ordered two mini orchids (Phalaenopsis mannii)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok

I have the lexan sheets and am not getting them cut until Monday.

I came across this thread today and was instantly inspired to change my plans.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/me...67737-diy-office-peru-habitat.html#post592465

Here are some of those pics

I like how its essentially a tall island and all sides are viewable. I also like the idea of venting all of the panes of glass from the bottom and the top with internal circulation of air and water via the fake tree/pipe.

I also think that if I am going to go this tall island route I would need two large access pannels.. SO

New plan

I am hoping that the 1cm thick lexan will be rigid enough to stand with only two walls fixed and the other two on rails.

Note the acrylic will be chemically bonded together to create one piece of polycarbonate so in theory it should be structurally sound.

what do you all think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE

Lexan pieces have been cut. A local fabrication company cut all of the pieces for 60 bucks!

Here it is taped together.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need ideas of how to strengthen the structure without sacrificing looks. I may install a beam in the centre middle of the tank horizontally to connect the two largest walls. I may be able to conseal it with the hardscape.

Another option is to give each side a rim by adding long 1.5 inch by 54 inch pieces to the corners.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm sorry to let you know this after you did it, but there is one problem with polycarbonate. It leaches bad stuff into your viv. read this thread. the thread says top, but it applies to sides and base too.http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/80722-lexan-top.html
I'm not quite sure what you can do about that now, but i thought it would be a good idea to let you know... Also why is there a banana in the water?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
half installed DIY railing system for the two doors. I have to cut some more plastic to give each open side a 1.5 inch rim of 1cm thick lexan to provide more stability.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm sorry to let you know this after you did it, but there is one problem with polycarbonate. It leaches bad stuff into your viv. read this thread. the thread says top, but it applies to sides and base too.http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/80722-lexan-top.html
I'm not quite sure what you can do about that now, but i thought it would be a good idea to let you know... Also why is there a banana in the water?
You could always just seal it like you would a plywood viv. or silicone on pond liner if you want, both would work.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I may attempt to reduce contact with the lexan by laying pond liner or siliconing the internal square at the bottom of the viv. This was meant to hold the water/soil/falsebottom and pump. Everything else will be clear of contact from the top and sides so I do not see a problem.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts