Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the tank after the foam cured. I did a little carving/sculpting.

Half of the quickcrete spread on.

Bottom

Coco fiber/peat moss mixture pressed onto the quickcrete.

Now that the concrete has hardened, I'll clean up the excess "dirt" and get a pic. Plants should be here tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Looks great! Keep us updated on the photos when it is planted.

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you make the vent at the top out of? I'm making a 10 vert right now and I like the way yours looks.
Neal

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get some window screen channel and a pack of screen corners at home depot. Cut everything down to the size you need and silicone onto the tank.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's finished. I think it will suit a trio of imitators. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IMO there shouldn't be any lime problems. I only added a small amount of quickcrete. I ended up using 4 cups of peat mixture and only 2oz of cement. To me, that seemed to work out the best. The background will be moist but not sopping. On the test piece I used, I soaked it in water for a couple days after it hardened and there was only a slight discoloration from the peat. Of course that's not scientific, and I didn't have the water tested for lime, but I don't really see a problem.

Also, I know guys who make their own rocks for their reef tanks out of crushed coral and portland cement and they have no problems. They do soak the rocks in vinegar for a few days then soak in fresh water, but they are using ALOT of cement.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of bromeliads are those? I want to add that exact species into my vertical 10 imitator tank

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Adam, the black strip is a piece that comes on any aquarium glass top. I used the one from a 10G top, took the glass pieces off and trimed it to fit.

Tim, the very top one is Neoregelia Guinea and the others are Neoregelia lilliputiana x Fireballxeloniiana. All those plants come from Harry at Cloud Jungle. Give him a call, he's an awesome guy! I don't think I'd buy plants anywhere else.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Jared,
The door and base pieces, are they glass or plexi? I'm thinking of doing the similar thing to my 20 Long.
Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts