Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am oh so new to this hobby I just want to double check something with you guys.

Would a 10g viv. be ok in my walk-in closet? These frogs wont keep me up will they? And , the bulb I'd be using, is a single "reptiglo 2.0" bulb... which I can't imagine would get very hot? I don't want any fire hazards.

Just some concerns... need to get EVERYTHING figured out before it gets built and such.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only problem you might have is the humidity in the closet. Most dart frog calls will not keep you up all night compared to some other species. I have 7 Tanks in my bedroom and have no problems at night just the occasional pumilio call after I turn the lights out, other then that they are silent.

However I would suggest putting them somewhere you will be able to see them on a regular basis. They really are quite interesting to watch and it's kinda hard to appreciate them in the closet.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I should have chosen my words more carefully in the other post.

I currently already have a 20g saltwater aquarium in my bedroom :D
My closet is very visible, and they will get MORE than enough attention, from either me or my family.. they always check in on my fish anyways.
If I were to leave the closet door open at all times, would humidty still be a big issue?

Pardon my newbiness to the hobby, but what is a "pumilio" call?

I am getting excited .... ahah

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, pardon my newbiness...

The type of dart frog in which I am wanting to keep is the auratus? Is that spelt correctly? Sorry if it is. This is the type I am going to keep (it was listed as a beginners frog, and I like the colors) Are these guys loud?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Auratus are quiet. Dart frogs are diurnal. Use an all glass lid to keep humidity up. Why would the fact that it is in a closet affect humidity? If the tank is sealed what does the outside have to do with it? I would find a different bulb. I don't think those lights do good for the plants.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Diurnal or not, I have had some frogs wake me up in the morning (very rarely) and some that have called late into the night (almost an hour after lights out). I agree with Greg about the humidity, but you might have to worry about the lights generating heat in a confined closet. Also, no tank is ever 100% sealed so you might keep an eye on any mildew smells.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mydumname,

can you recommend a bulb for a 10g tank then? not really looking to drain my wallet.

oh yeah, also I wanted to ask... do frogs and or plants have a certain photoperiod? how many hours a day should there be light in the tank?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Yeah, I have heard of frogs calling at night, but auratus will be no problems. I have my lights turn on at 8AM and off at 10PM. A light that would work for a simple, cheap setup, check out my post in this link (about 8 posts down):

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5274&highlight=6500k

Some people like them, others say they don't cover the whole tank, but I think they are fine. They are cheap too and I noticed my tillandsias started to put out pups shortly after using these.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.