Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this has been done a million times, but here is a sort of small step by step instruction for the one I just built. It is my first, so if anyone with experience has anything to add, please do so:

Step 1
First off it is best to make the false bottom section if that is what you will use. For false bottom construction, do a search. As for the way I do it, I leave a small gap between the egg crate and the glass to fill with gravel. Just a trick I learned from a local, and it works and looks great.

Step 2
Once you have the false bottom finished, you can glue the background in. I used a full size cork piece that fit the entirety of the back. I used foam only around the sides to keep it in place. I am not a big fan of filling in the entire back with foam. I then covered the foam later with silicone and bed a beast

Step 3
Now you can start glueing the glass to the front. I used a piece that was 6 inches tall, and had a snug fit in the black plastic rim of the tank. Make sure to seal the black plastic to the tank as well or it will leak. Also, now you can add any landscape you want such as that smaller cork piece I used to add some depth. I also made the screen flap for ventilation in this step, however it isn't installed yet, I just wanted to check the fit of both glass pieces.

Step 4
Once the glue is cured, you can now add substrate, or gravel. I use gravel on top of the egg crate so I have very little substrate because it is so much like a sponge. I have really saved a lot of plants with this method from root rot.It also looks nicer not showing the false bottom eggcrate section.

Step 5
Now it is time to add the plants and substrate. I just drill holes into the cork and then hot glue the broms in if they aren't secure enough in the hole. I also have squeeze many crypt babies into small holes since they grow so well. The lighting is a 20 watt 6500k compact flourescent from walmart. It puts out a LOT of light. It is in just a clamp fixture for now, but that is only temporary. anything past this step is totally your preference. And if you are daring, you can drill holes/hole in the back glass piece to get a cord out for a pump or something. I didn't want to do that yet, , but on my next one I will

I hope this helps somebody out. I think this tank will look great once grown in more and the door is totally finished. If anyone has more questions please do ask.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
545 Posts
Good guide. The only thing I would have done differently would be to make the false bottom with PVC couplings instead of gravel, but only for the weight reduction.

G

·
Very nice Mr. Parker, it is hard to plant a vert 10 and give it a natural look. I think you did very well. Congrates! I do like the full gravel front. This is very useful when you go to suck water out of the tank.

Things I do different and why;

No false bottom's for me in small tanks. They are used mainly to cut down on weight. I just use alifor instead. Anything over 20 gallons get a false bottom, in my house.

I install the bottom glass behind the tank frame. I worry over time the silicone holding the glass to plastic will fail. If use use plexi-glass (acrylic) you could epoxy the to pieces together and it shouldn't fail. You will just have to silicone inside the tank between the frame and tank glass, ( You stated this, but I know more than one person that didn't do this and had to tear a tank down).

I am interested in seeing the door system. I mount all the vents behind the tank rim, do to the style of locks I use. This keeps the door tight to the tank rim, and leaves a small 1/16" gap at the top between the vent and door. Depending on the frog species I may use a plastic u-channel on the top egde of the door sealing the tank up tight.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I don't understand the door system. Can you explain this to me? Also, did this come as a kit or did you make it yourself, where do you get it, etc.?
If you drilled a hole for a wire, how do you plug the remainder of the whole, what can you use?

Tank looks good, by the way.

Thanks for the help,

Greg

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
mydumname said:
I don't understand the door system. Can you explain this to me? Also, did this come as a kit or did you make it yourself, where do you get it, etc.?
If you drilled a hole for a wire, how do you plug the remainder of the whole, what can you use?

Tank looks good, by the way.

Thanks for the help,

Greg
for a wire, a grommet should be used, if further sealing is required, a gob of silicone can do amazing things.

G

·
Looks great.

A bit off topic but what are the brom's that you're using? All of the broms I can find at the local nursuries are way too big for a 10g.

Can you post a picture of the tank with the door on?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will put a pic up as soon as I get the door finished. You do bring up a good point ben, but I will see how this holds up and see if it leaks.
Dane, I would like to see your door method as well.
Mydumname, I made it all. Buy a 10 gallon, get glass cut for the front, and if you make the screen section, you can get all of the supplies for that at home depot or lowes in the window section. The light bulb came from the light bulb section at walmart. It was called DAYLIGHT I think. Just read on the 20 watt compacts what the color is. This one says on it, 6500K.
The bromeliads are a neoregelia fireball (biggest one) and a neoregelia tropiflora. They don't get very big at all, but they do reproduce VERy fast from what I have seen. I got them from customecos.com. They have great prices and plants.

Ed Parker

·
Registered
210 Posts
if you wont the tank to look nicer i will paint the air vent black, it came out looking alot better.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, the tank has been housing 4 vents for the last few weeks. I will get some pics up of the door asap, as well as the total finished product. I was very pleased with how it turned out. I am now working on my next 10 vert to split my 2 pairs of vents into. Thanks for all the comments,

Ed

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Just wondering where you got the components for the screen section.

Luke

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost forgot about this. Here is a pic of my hinge, and handle. I just siliconed them in place with Aquarium silicone. The hinge is an excelon piano hinge, and the handle is an acrylic pull handle.

Ed Parker

1 - 20 of 30 Posts