Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started today on a 10 gallon long build for my Azures. All I have done is Silicone the walls of the tank I plan on using the great stuff method. Was this correct to first silicone the walls so the great stuff wont fall? Also I want to have a few wall mounted plants do I need to have a hole running threw the great stuff to drain the wall mounted plants? Also for a 10 gallon tank would you recommend using zoo-med hydroballs as a drainage layer? Or creating a egg crate false bottom with a syphon tube?

Ill post pictures of the build!

Thanks!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Adding the silicone won't hurt as people have said it can help the GS stick to the glass. In a 10g it prolly isn't necessary, but it certainly doesn't hurt!

As for the hydroton/egg crate it's up to you. I've done both in a 10g, but if you do the hydroton it's still helpful to include a syphon tube to drain water if it fills up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would not and silicon to the back/ side walls, I have heard that it makes the gs slide down. I know when I tried to put tape on the silicon it fell right off.

Hope this helps,
Froggies3

·
Registered
87 Posts
i would totally go with egg crate. i tried hydro balls with screen mesh over it then put the substrate over that and within 6 months it was a huge mess. the egg crate seems to last much better. but remember with either you will have to siphon it out once a week or so, if you mist often. good luck with it all.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i would totally go with egg crate. i tried hydro balls with screen mesh over it then put the substrate over that and within 6 months it was a huge mess. the egg crate seems to last much better. but remember with either you will have to siphon it out once a week or so, if you mist often. good luck with it all.
I thought I was the only one who didnt like the coco-puffs. You can get a few builds from one sheet of egg crate. Its said you get better humidity with egg crate, pluse the water is so much easier to extract.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok cool going to go with the egg crate. Any suggestions on creating drainage in the wall mount plants? I am going to start working on the false bottom today!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts