Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you make doors for 10 gal vert tanks. i am kinda interested in setting one up eventually, but i was never sure of how to set up the door on the front.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Go to http://www.thechocohut.com.Ben Green has the info there and he will answer you questions.
He is a great guy and knows alot of the trials and errors of making vertical tanks.What are planning on putting into the vert tank?
Later,
Mark W.

·
Administrator
8,807 Posts
OK - let's see if I get this right. Forgive the size of the pics... I've got a new DigiCamera and I'm still figuring things out.

These are two pics of my 10g verticals that I made about 5 years ago.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey Scott-

I was wondering if you could go into some detail about how you built the sliding doors for these tanks? Also did you silicone all of the glass to the inside of the rim on the aquarium (in the spot a normal glass top would drop into place), or did you do it differently? Any leaks, or other problems? I have heard that it is hard to get sliding doors that don't have a small space in between them, where small frogs could escape out of? Sorry for all the questions, just curious :D .

Best-
Jon

·
Administrator
8,807 Posts
I just used one track with two pieces of glass. Nice snug fit. No escapees from frogs or insects.

I siliconed the bottom piece to the inside (made the mistake of using the outside once, only once). The top piece I did to the outside of the tank.

The tricky part is getting the track in the right shape for the tank. Takes a little work with an exacto knife, but it works.

It's eithe that... or you're missing with the frame of the tank. Your call.

I like these tanks quite a bit. They've served me well over time. I'm just wanting a bit bigger tanks now (I'm using 16" cubes). Or I'd be refurbishing them.

As it is... you could probably pick up a few of these from me in trade if you know what I mean. Already made.

s

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
question about 10 gal vert.

Am I correct in assuming that you start with a standard 10 gallon aquarium and stand it up, and add doors and vents to the former top?
Is there a problem with the lighting if the glass "top" isn't u.v. transparent?

·
Administrator
8,807 Posts
Re: question about 10 gal vert.

No more than using glass to cover your tanks in general (which is what every single one of my tanks has (except for a few plexi cubes).

s

Lance said:
Am I correct in assuming that you start with a standard 10 gallon aquarium and stand it up, and add doors and vents to the former top?
Is there a problem with the lighting if the glass "top" isn't u.v. transparent?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts