Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 10 gallon tank that I was thinking of changing it to vertical just for fun. I want to spend time and build a really nice background for it. I have three Bakhuis froglets already in a 20g long and was thinking of this tank for a second set of frogs most likely thumbnails. So I have 2 questions is this tank worth spending time on or should I get a bigger tank before I start. And if I do go forward with the build what would you recommend for frogs I would really like to go with some thumbnails but I don't know what kind to go with ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have two 10gal verts with thumbs and they are worth it in my opinion. One houses my vanzo pair which are very prolific breeders and it is lacking a background. Rather I have a large driftwood piece serving as a column focal point. The other has my tarapotos which does have a background, and they have just recently started breeding. As far as frog choice it's really up to you, most will do just fine in a pair in that size setup. My suggestion however...orange sirensis or amazonicus iquitos.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello, I have 3 10 gallon verts and in my opinion they are just as good as the 15 gallon verts. It is nice to start off with a small tank especially if it is your first vert tank. I have orange Sirensis (Lamasi), standard Imitators, fg vents, Iquitos vents and varibilis. I enjoy them all but the FG Vents are the most visible.
I would recommend all the frogs I have listed above. They will not be as visible as your Tincs though.
Just my 2 cents, Curtis

Reactions: lblack

·
Registered
65 Posts
What are vanzo's?
Scuse me for not knowing the lingo, im mostly lurking on the boards. I have a 10 gallon myself which im hoping to keep some thumbnails when its properly planted and running.

·
Registered
478 Posts
What are vanzo's?
Scuse me for not knowing the lingo, im mostly lurking on the boards. I have a 10 gallon myself which im hoping to keep some thumbnails when its properly planted and running.
It is a smaller thumbnail frog .Ranitomeya vanzolini. It is a pretty cool looking frog

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
What are vanzo's?
Vanzo's are thumbs. I would say start small too, just to see how your plants grow and making sure you're doing everything right. I have 2 10G verts and a 20l vert. I will be going with 15/20h verts from here on out...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank so much for all the input I have some cool ideas for the tank. It's kind of a long term project seeing as I just got my bakuhis'. I just can't help but keep building these. I'm in the Boston area and can't find any local suppliers. I got my bakhuis from black jungle but that a 2 h drive and they don't have many thumbnails. I would like to know if there are any other locals with frogs that would like to trade cuttings and maby sell frogs be best not to ship if I can help it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a big start on the tank over school brake figured i would post some pic's. I'm thinking of Banded Imi's for the tank. has anyone had success with these frogs? how many would be smart for the ten gallon tank. I'm have a source for some 2 month old's. here's a pic of the tank so far.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I got a big start on the tank over school brake figured i would post some pic's. I'm thinking of Banded Imi's for the tank. has anyone had success with these frogs? how many would be smart for the ten gallon tank. I'm have a source for some 2 month old's. here's a pic of the tank so far.
Imitators, as a species, fare best as M/F pairs. I wouldn't do anything more in 10 gallons of space.

-Pat

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Agreed, with a 10 gallon, a single pair is the most I wound house together. There are a few thumbs that do well in groups: for example green sirensis and Vanzolinii. Still, I woudl not do more than 3 in a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just thought I'd give an update here is the tank so far

I like the look a lot any plant suggestions would be nice. I defintly thinking broms but I'd like to do some vines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Get vents,easy to care for,small,and live in groups.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Has anyone in this thread claiming imitators are best kept in pairs have experience both keeping in pairs and keeping in groups?
I have. Most recently I had to split up a 3.2 of tarapoto's after seeing male/male aggression on multiple occasions.

-Pat

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It doesn't have to be a trio but could keep them in 2.2.

My intermedius are a 1.2 and I find it hard to believe he isn't breeding with both. Found too many egg clutches at one time I would imagine they had to be laid by both females. Do I know for.certain....of course not. But I don't get multiple clutches on same day from pairs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts