Dendroboard banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One luec is still MIA since May 11th and the other is still very shy.
I got the 2 on April 29th.
I can distinguish the 2 and I only see Black V Butt but not Yellow V Butt.

I have been misting often and it brings the shy one out sometimes. I just don't want to over do it and make the ground too soggy.

Sometimes when I feed the one waits in a hollow for the flies to come to him.
When he is out he stays in the back under a thick canopy. The few times he comes out in the open he retreats and hides.

It's frustrating, but I let him do his own thing until he comes out.

The viv is in our living room so there is a lot of activity.

Should this behavior be concernig?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've heard some Leucs are bold, some are shy. I can tell you that the 5 I keep have been both -- they remained very cryptic and shy for a good couple of months after I moved their vivarium downstairs, before presumably feeling secure enough again to become very visible, and I expect another major change of environment would make them shy again for a while.

"Invisible Frogs" can be problematic in that they're hard to monitor. If you roust them from their hiding spot to check on them, that's more stress and contributes to more hiding; so it's a judgement call as to whether or not you're worried about them feeding and keeping weight.

One thing I've done to determine if such frogs are feeding is to leave the vivarium open when introducing flies, and listening carefully for the telltale sound of tongues snapping or leaf litter rustling, but obviously the room needs to be very quiet for that.

Another thing I might do for those situations is scatter a couple of feeding stations in the tank to concentrate some flies in strategic areas for them to find.

In my experience it's very much a judgement call -- some frogs remain very cryptic but do just fine, but I did discover a very underweight D. auratus once when I risked looking through the leaf litter for him, and had to remove him to another tank to get his weight up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts