Dendroboard banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
For me that was not reason number 1 in recommending to get rif of the UV lamp asap.

Although I do believe in what you call 'mythology' and that would be defenitly reason number 2 why I'd personly remove the lamp.. But as SM already said, that's a different topic.

My #1 reason in getting rid of the UV lamp is that a UV lamp, is just not relyable.. We don't know how old it is to begin with.
I noticed more than person having issues with their UV lamps over the years, especialy from the Exo Terra or Zoomed brand. Those lamps seems to lose their initial benefenits very fast over a short period of time and then radiate a lot of UVc which could potentialy be very harmfull!

Getting rid of everything that could potentialy be harmfull is the only good advice imo.. Better safe than sorry..

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
No that's not true. The 'older' get the more deprecated the uvb value becomes.

The uvc concerns had to do with some defective bulbs. Nothing to do with duration of use.

Its important to not construct ideological mythologies with things you have never worked with and know nothing about.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
This is important. Its Importnt not to "blame" emaciated frogs to a uvb tube on top of the screens of a viv that if measured would read out to barely crepuscular read. Barely.

.."If you think "uvb is good" uh.. no hon thats not it. Exactly why I dont want
to discuss it.

Hint: Im a behavioral motived keeper.

My outcomes have been outstanding. No proof. No literature. but my confidence hasnt materialized out of thin air.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
For me this topic is realy simple.

There is a dead frog and 2 other frogs that are in an afwull shape and need ASAP help.
The best thing to do is remove EVERYTHING asap that could be possible hazard to the frogs. This could be : substrate, waterfeatures, lighting, supplementation..
The next step it to replace it with the correct items so the frogs can start to recover.

There is no reason what so ever NOT to remove the UV lamp asap when there are so many alarming issues here. Unless you are 100% sure this is not the source, which is impossible to find out at this urgency of risk!
If by any chance this UV lamp would be defect or worn out and produce UVC, it now is removed and done harming the frogs..

That's it. No right fighting over wheter UV would be beneficial or not, just helping by recommending to remove all possible hazards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well said, @Tijl.

@paulhar88, how are your frogs doing? Any change/improvement?
Hey,

So since I removed the dead frog the other 3 seem to have been a lot more active.

They're all looking healthy and a lot fatter than the one that died.

UV light is off, humidity is being kept between 70-80% and I've been giving them repashy dusted flies.

Fingers crossed it may have just been one poorly frog 🤞

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You have to understand your other frogs do not look anywhere near healthy on the photo's. This was not a 'one poor frog in the bunch' thing, but a very incorrect enclosure/feeding issue..

So keep a good eye on them maintaining to gain weight, I would be surprised if your frogs would already be recovered. It may be that a lot of damage already has been done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
And upload new pics of the frogs in order to check evolution please

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Looks like a young female doing ok.

I'd stille remove the spagmos if I were you, this is very difficult to make it maintain the correct moisture whitout oversaturating it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks like a young female doing ok.

I'd stille remove the spagmos if I were you, this is very difficult to make it maintain the correct moisture whitout oversaturating it.
I have removed almost all of it. There's this bit she's sat on then a bit in the opposite corner.

Humidity is averaging about 75% now.

I'll try to get photos of the other 2, but they are very similar in terms of how filled out they look.

·
Super Moderator
3,329 Posts
Compared to the early photos, those frogs look great. Good work! :)

You were apparently sold some very ill-cared for frogs. Avoiding giving any more money to that vendor in the future will be good for frogs, and good for the hobby.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts