Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a 1.2 of Uakarri. I have had mine for a couple of month. One female I had then I got a pair. They have been laying one egg every four weeks but the egg goes bad. I don't know if its mold or if the male is not fertilizing the egg. I have caught my old female courting the male and I have also caught her chasing away the other female in what seems like an aggressive manner. Any input? One egg a week seems low for a 1.2 to me.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I'd separate them first of all, or get a second male and put them in a large tank (about 30 gallons). As for laying rates, that's about right. These guys aren't your typical Ranitomeya species, they are a lot harder to get successful breeding. Give them time to get it right.

Once you get tadpoles, that's when the real difficult part begins ;)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
R. uakarii are such a pain. It is typical to go for quite some time without getting much success. It takes time to get viable eggs, and it takes a long time to start getting some tads out of the water. I'd hang back and let them do their thing (we're talking months, at least).

In talking with other froggers it seems that many people have better success letting the frogs take care of their own young (I don't think they actually egg feed, but my understanding is something seems to happen between being laid and being transported that can be kind of rough for these guys). Then again... I know a frogger who's increased his success with his uakarii to something like 80% survival rate. Unfortunately he hasn't shared his secret with me just yet (I think you know who you are *shake fists!*)

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm not really getting impatient yet but I'm sure I will be tested in time. I'll keep watching their behavior and go from there. Thanks again.:)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Kept a pair of these in a tank with a brom for a few years and never got any to morph out in the tank, could see the tads in the axils but nothing. Then I finally pulled the brom out and emptied it to find seven tads in various stage of development, one having back legs, no sign of feeder eggs of course. All of them are still developing weeks later, will see how they morph.

Now that the brom is gone I've put some film cans in the substrate and they have deposited two more tads in the cans.

I also have a 2.2 group of UE frogs that have laid eggs but never transported, bunch of deadbeats.

not the easiest frog to work with but they are out and really striking frogs, colors are intense.

ERic

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting...the tank mine are in has one giant centerpiece brom that hold a bunch of water in the axils. I also have plenty of canisters all over the place but I haven't seen anything deposited in them yet. I haven't seen tads either just eggs but you never know maybe I should pull out brom and see if there is anything there trying to develop.

I agree with you as to how gorgeous they are. I have a picture of one of my females that is absolutely striking I'll put the link in a bit.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just got a pair of these in trade for some native plants. I never see them out as they are super shy. Are these guys more of a ground dweller or are they inclined to climb? I was told they are more of a leaf litter dweller. Anyhow, they are gorgeous frogs and well worth having, but I may trade them off.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
They'll climb but definitely like a lot of floor space. I see mine quite a bit now, just give them time.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've noticed with mine that they are really active right after the lights go out.. But only for a like 10 minutes. Like I'll see 1 or 2 of them and then after the lights go out, all 3 come out and start hunting bugs... Has anyone else noticed this?

PS- I've only had them for a couple of days so it might not be permanent...

-Alex

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I really don't find mine to be all that shy. Then again they're in a sealed vivarium and the front of the tank is mossy/foggy 24/7. They may not be so shy because they can't see me.... I'm moving them into something bigger with way more broms as soon as I can get my misting system set up.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Mine are very very bold and really dont care if I go in the viv or if I'm watching them. They just keep doing their thing. Unfortunately, I JUST found out they are both males as I saw both of them calling at each other. Anyone have an extra female they would trade for a male??

Josh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts