Dendroboard banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently confirmed that I have a 1:2 trio. There is a dominant female and a passive female. If they are near each other when the male calls, the dominant jumps on for about 30 seconds and jumps off. The passive female leaves the area to hunt for food. These short squabbles don’t happen every day, and a few times the passive female has followed the male around if the dominant wasn’t interested.

Here’s my issue.
1) I have the azureus viv ready to go for frogs, but I don’t want to put smiley (passive female) in there and have her destroy the springtail population for the juvie azureus when they go in.

2) The Azureus juvies are over 3/4”. It’s a 36x18x24 so I’m a little nervous about them finding food (unwarranted, but anxiety...). I’m pretty sure they are bold enough now that I could get a good look at them, and they are the size (if not larger) than the fine spots when I got them (if I remember right, I should have measured them!).

3). I’m watching them closely. The switch will happen if I see it more often. Moving azureus to the big viv and Smiley to the froglet viv. If that happens, I was thinking about moving the male between the vivs every other week so he can stay busy while the females get a rest. Would that be too stressful on him? I’m not looking to raise a ton of froglets, but it would be nice to get a viable clutch soon.

Thanks for any insight you may have!

This morning the male was ready to go (seems like he leads them on an adventure). They were waiting for him in the hut, and he didn’t know what to do! He eventually went in and the dominant female got his attention so Smiley left. Looks like there might be some eggs today! The first egg was not viable as expected.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If you wanted to move him back and forth I'd suggest every few months versus every few weeks. Would likely just be getting settled after a week or so.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Attempt #2. Six hours later. I’ll leave the next clutch in with the adults.

Reactions: bssknox
1 - 3 of 3 Posts