Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 02:34 AM

Default Red Eyes and reptile carpet???

Ok so I went to home depot and got that green carpet like material that people use with other reptiles and such and cut a piece for my RETF and was wondering if others had done so before me and how it worked out for humidity and just generally if their RETF didn't mind it. This will be just a temporary thing until I figure out the whole living vivaria setup I want to do and such because I had them just on stagnant wet moss and that just stank up the place real bad and the crickets they didn't catch would die and mold over all nasty like. I checked it out and read about the material and such, no chemicals used in it and I also gave it a quick rinse with warm water in the tub and dried it before placing it there. But I would love to hear a little feedback on this reptile carpet thing with RETF and hope to hear from somebody soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Red Eyes and reptile carpet???

Reptile carpet, is best for reptiles not amphibians. You can set up the substrate for a r.e.t.f like a dart frog. I have clay balls, screen, jungle mix substrate, then a thin layer of frog moss from petco along with leaf litter. Hope this helps.

Last edited by rain dart; 03-18-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:13 AM

I'm pretty sure it would cause irritation.. If you want a real low maintenance bottom, just do some lecca and a ton of leaf litter. I'd throw in an inch of substrate (separated by a mesh screen of your choice) but that's just me. I've seen a few breeder set ups with just lecca or gravel as the substrate with a moss o leaf cover.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 AM

Hmmm, alright then yeah I didn't think about it irritating them at all. I guess it would be a little rough on their sensitive skin. I think tomorrow I am going to try the PCP pipe and the egg crate as the barrier just because I really dont like the extra weight of the lecca and ill do the different layers of ABG and leaf litter when I order it but thanx for the advice. I'll make sure to keep an eye on them till I grab that stuff.