Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Halter
  • 1 Post By Halter
  • 1 Post By papafrogger
  • 3 Post By Halter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 PM

Default Red Eye Tree Frog success?

I have been keeping/breeding amphibians for years.
I have a really nice 2.2 set of RETFs that I have been attempting to breed. I have bred PDF's (granted I know they are different) with no problems before, through out most seasons....Their normal enclosure is a 70 gallon Easy Access. I constructed a rain chamber, that is about 36" long X 20" wide X 24" high. I have a pump with PVC tubing heading up to the top perimeter, with drilled "water holes" all around the top. Makes a very nice rain around the circumference of the chamber.

I have a small submersible water heater in the water which is filled about 5-6" in the tub, with a set temperature of 77 ambient. Water is changed daily. I allow the rain chamber to run about 3 hours into the evening and going into night for about an hour.

The plants that I have am using pathos, as well as, a 'dieffenbachia sp.' aka dumb cane plant. All have broad leaves overhanging the water, and are plentiful.

As for age, my RETF's are about 1.5 years old to 2.0 years, in exception of my leucistic male, which is about 7 months and calling.
I feed them all about 60 crickets a week, and dust them once a week with herptivite.

Behavior is normal, The males call(in and out of chamber), when in the chamber they displayed leaf shaking, territorial disputes, as well as, fight over amplexus over the same female. As for the females, I have seen them soak the Caudal end of their bodies in the water, for minutes at a time, Which i know helps retain moisture for the eggs that are being developed.

The main issue I am having is that my older male, goes into amplexus with the same female each time. After the territorial disputes are solved with the other male, he eventually wins and gets her, the other female does not seem interested. The problem is, this male will be in amplexus with this female for 3-4 days, barely falling off, but no eggs! I watch the leucistic at times mess with him, but once he is officially attached he does not seem to bother.

I got all the steps except the actual copulation...Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can have them finish the deal? I know it is out of season, but they as a species are prolific breeders, and the barometric pressures are not changing (I live in PA). So I know that can make a difference in setting the 'mood' but I seem to have all the 'mood' steps right, they are displaying breeding behaviors with territory + amplexus only in the rain chamber, so my question is:

How do I get him to finish, does anybody have any suggestions for me? I am considering adding 1 more adult male + 1 adult female to the mix to aid in stimulation, I can provide pictures of rain chamber + enclosure tonight.

Thank you for your help

Josh Halter

Last edited by Halter; 02-20-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Red Eye Tree Frog success?

Why are you only dusting once a week? Are you using exclusively herptivite or a calcium supplement as well. I dont have experience with retf but i know when it comes to breeding supplements are the first thing to look at.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajuggalo View Post
Why are you only dusting once a week? Are you using exclusively herptivite or a calcium supplement as well. I dont have experience with retf but i know when it comes to breeding supplements are the first thing to look at.
I supplement a rotation between rep-cal and herptivite. I only do it once a week because they are fed only twice weekly. Also, the amount of crickets that each frog eats, compared to the ratio of supplement utilized is more than enough. To much supplementing can be a bad thing, especially since the their small delicate bodies can get an over load, esp. with the calcium, which sends all those excess compounds to the liver and the kidneys, which in long term can cause problems.

For all my amphibians I rotate supplement a once a week and never had any issues with breeding, egg fertility/versatility, including when I bred Darts.

What supplement do you like to use?
Thank you for your input
papafrogger likes this.

Last edited by Halter; 02-20-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM

Ok taking that into account it sounds about right. Im not trying to present myself as an expert but i have seen referenced numerous times that the supplements on the market are formulated for dusting full sized crickets so there shouldnt be too much risk for overdose feeding twice weekly. People with more knowledge can chime in at anytime and correct me. You seem to have that in order though. I only asked as supplementation is usually the first thing to look at when having problems breeding.

I personally use repashy brand supplements. Calcium plus every feeding, but i substitute for superpig once a month. I used rep-cal and herptivite before but changed after finding out that there are form of vits in them that are largely (or completely) unusable to amphibians. I am still pretty new to this so this is all based on research and others opinions mixed with mine. Best of luck to you!
Halter (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajuggalo View Post
Ok taking that into account it sounds about right. Im not trying to present myself as an expert but i have seen referenced numerous times that the supplements on the market are formulated for dusting full sized crickets so there shouldnt be too much risk for overdose feeding twice weekly. People with more knowledge can chime in at anytime and correct me. You seem to have that in order though. I only asked as supplementation is usually the first thing to look at when having problems breeding.

I personally use repashy brand supplements. Calcium plus every feeding, but i substitute for superpig once a month. I used rep-cal and herptivite before but changed after finding out that there are form of vits in them that are largely (or completely) unusable to amphibians. I am still pretty new to this so this is all based on research and others opinions mixed with mine. Best of luck to you!
I have heard very good things about repashy, I know their crested gecko supplements are the best out there. That is something I will look into. As far as the unusable supplements go I am going to do some research to see, that is interesting you point that out. I was always under the implication that rep cal and herptivite are the best out there...My girlfriend is going to school to be a veterinarian and she is currently taking an animal nutrition class. So i will get the breakdown of vitamins in both of those supplements and have her ask her professor.

Thank you for your input though, i really appreciate it, and i really want these darn frogs to finish the deed!!!
papafrogger likes this.
papafrogger (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 PM

Repashy lists supplement contents on their website. I would be interested to hear the comparison as well. Try doing a search here on the forum about them, there has been quite a few threads discussing supplements. Best of luck! Maybe some barry manilow will get them in the mood
Halter likes this.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Red Eye Tree Frog breeding success? + 70 g vivarium

As promised here is their enclosure:
-I will post pictures of the rain chamber in about 3-4 days.

It is a 70 gallon EZ Access with a stream + waterfall, and a really nice water area. It grew in exactly how I wanted it, the frogs seem to love it!

Input is appreciated + any further advice for breeding, thanks again.

-Josh

Here is the inhabitants::

Here is their tank::

-beginning of the water area, love this picture