Supplement Overdose From Crickets? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM
tachikoma's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 674
Thanks: 35
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default Supplement Overdose From Crickets?

Well the past weekend I bought some new supplements and 2 days ago I had my first feeding with the new batch of repashy calcium plus, now I fed all my frogs this including my darts on the same day.

I wake up the next morning, 1 of my A. Annae is dead on the ground, and one of my C. calcarifer is swollen up like a water balloon and I can tell he is most likely not going to make it, I am assuming it is some sort or renal failure. Is it possible for crickets to have too much supplement stick to them in a single feeding to cause this? I only dust once a week for the treefrogs. This is really depressing to me and I had trouble sleeping because of it, these guys were long term projects and was getting ready to set them up for breeding this spring.

So if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
__________________
Tachikoma formerly known as hkspowers.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Reef_Haven's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winter Haven, Florida
Posts: 933
Thanks: 70
Thanked 97 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Supplement Overdose From Crickets?

Supplements stick to fruit flies roughly twice as much as crickets. One feeding of supplemented insects should not be able to provide an overdose of that magnitude.
__________________
Kevin Flanders -
dartfrogsforsale.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reef_Haven For This Useful Post:
tachikoma (01-09-2013)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,346
Thanks: 119
Thanked 144 Times in 95 Posts
Default Re: Supplement Overdose From Crickets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachikoma View Post
Well the past weekend I bought some new supplements and 2 days ago I had my first feeding with the new batch of repashy calcium plus, now I fed all my frogs this including my darts on the same day.

I wake up the next morning, 1 of my A. Annae is dead on the ground, and one of my C. calcarifer is swollen up like a water balloon and I can tell he is most likely not going to make it, I am assuming it is some sort or renal failure. Is it possible for crickets to have too much supplement stick to them in a single feeding to cause this? I only dust once a week for the treefrogs. This is really depressing to me and I had trouble sleeping because of it, these guys were long term projects and was getting ready to set them up for breeding this spring.

So if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.
Did you feed the crickets right after they were acquired? If so it is possible that what ever they were fed at the breeder may be negatively affecting your frogs. Its a good practice to make sure all feeders are left in a separate container and power fed on greens for 24-48 hours before being offered as a way to flush any and all residual food items(such as low quality rodent chow) that they were fed at the farm.
__________________
Open your mind or close your mouth.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mantisdragon91 For This Useful Post:
tachikoma (01-09-2013)
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM
tachikoma's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 674
Thanks: 35
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Supplement Overdose From Crickets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisdragon91 View Post
Did you feed the crickets right after they were acquired? If so it is possible that what ever they were fed at the breeder may be negatively affecting your frogs. Its a good practice to make sure all feeders are left in a separate container and power fed on greens for 24-48 hours before being offered as a way to flush any and all residual food items(such as low quality rodent chow) that they were fed at the farm.
I did indeed feed them the same day I bought them. Maybe this was the cause, this makes me want to breed my own crickets now.
__________________
Tachikoma formerly known as hkspowers.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Ed Ed is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 19,301
Thanks: 321
Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,792 Posts
Default Re: Supplement Overdose From Crickets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_Haven View Post
Supplements stick to fruit flies roughly twice as much as crickets. One feeding of supplemented insects should not be able to provide an overdose of that magnitude.
Also virtually every supplement on the market is formulated to provide a balanced larger cricket.. so that is unlikely

One of the things that has been documented with frogs is problem with "gastric overload"... This typically does present within a relatively short period after feeding. There are some pictures of it in Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry.

Some comments

Ed
__________________
A phrase you never want to hear;
"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed For This Useful Post:
tachikoma (01-09-2013)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
tachikoma's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 674
Thanks: 35
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Supplement Overdose From Crickets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed View Post
Also virtually every supplement on the market is formulated to provide a balanced larger cricket.. so that is unlikely

One of the things that has been documented with frogs is problem with "gastric overload"... This typically does present within a relatively short period after feeding. There are some pictures of it in Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry.

Some comments

Ed
Thanks Ed, I think I'll be purchasing that book tonight.
__________________
Tachikoma formerly known as hkspowers.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM
tachikoma's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 674
Thanks: 35
Thanked 39 Times in 26 Posts
Default Re: Supplement Overdose From Crickets?

I just wanted to post an update, my C. calcarifer seems to be doing fine, I didn't feed him this week to see if he slimmed down any and now he is back to his normal size. And he is behaving normally again. I have switched my crickets to a slightly smaller size as well just in case that was the problem.

Thanks everyone for the help!
__________________
Tachikoma formerly known as hkspowers.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Supplement to Crickets for Whites Tree Frogs Nath514 Food & Feeding 18 01-27-2013 05:46 PM
MUST see this guy's yard (serious herp overdose) Groundhog The Lounge 3 01-06-2013 05:44 AM
vitamin A overdose goof901 General Health & Disease Treatment 2 02-24-2012 04:16 AM
Major drug recall for potential overdose. earthfrog The Lounge 0 01-09-2012 05:13 PM
"Supplement" supplement problem?? acesx09 General Discussion 5 09-29-2011 04:18 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.