Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Arrow red eyed tree frog... i want to try again

Please dont judge me before you read all this.....

So for my birthday, my gf bought me 2 red eyed tree frogs from some guy. (ive always wanted one)... but she bought me 2 and i was like ..... anyways, I went out and bought them a nice waterfall, fake plants, and substrate (small rocks to go in the 1/4 of water......i had a 3/4 land and 1/4 water terrarium).... after a few days, the female died from red leg disease i suppose. She was bleeding on her foot. the male was still alive. I called up the guy and told him what happened and had told him that he gave me 2 sick frogs, so he came and brought me 2 more frogs. I put them in the terrarium with the other male.....and had left for two days on vacation. I had bought a zoo med fog machine and had put it on a timer to go off for 20 mins every 4 hours and had left a lot of small crickets in a container so they can eat, along with a few in the enclosure. I come back, the first male was dead on the floor (no sign of red leg disease).... few days later, the 2nd female died due to red leg disease. She was bleeding a lot... (i couldnt take it anymore, i bought a new tank and supplies and put my last male in that set up). i did everything for him not to die, he looked great, i never bothered him and all he did was sleep. I put 3 small crickets out loose in the enclosure and 5 crickets in a container so he can eat them. He never touhed any of them and 2 days later died (no sign of red leg disease)..... what did i do wrong??? i did everything i could and spent soo much $$$$ on them. i was so sad.

I saw baby red eyed tree frogs at the store today, and really wanted to buy a few and try again but im scared. Can anyone tell me what i did wrong? i really want a few red eyed tree frogs. Also, can u put them with any other type of amphibian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Re: red eyed tree frog... i want to try again

Sorry for the loss of your frogs. For starters, I would have suggested a vet visit and antibiotics given if it was found to be a bacterial infection. I have used Baytril in the past succssfully on Redeyes as needed. A big mistake you made was putting new frogs in with potentially sick frogs, recipe for disaster. Also, you should really purchase cb Redeyes from a reputable breeder , that are for sure CB, which is your best bet being that it sounds as if they are your first Redeyes.Also with Redeyes you would be best to have the humidity at 50% and not higher during the day, and no misting or fogging during the day as this will lead to bacterial infection if they are kept too humid or wet. I hope this helps,Bill
Old 10-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Before any more frogs, you've gotta break down that tank and sanitize it.

It sounds like it might have been too wet in there for them, if there was water going off every 20 min (eta: I see you actually said every 4 hours for 20 min). They like some humidity but need to be able to dry out a bit. You don't want their substrate or plants wet. I don't know much about red leg but I've heard it can be related to conditions that are too wet.

Rats! Bill beat me to it

Last edited by frogface; 10-28-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:09 AM

thanks for the reply guys.... do you guys have any reommendation on how to sanitize?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:16 AM

thanks for the reply guys.... do you guys have any reommendation on how to sanitize?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 AM

When I tear down caging and contents for cleaning I mix a teaspoon of regular bleach in na gallon of water and use that to scrub everything and then follow up with a weak antibacterial soap to scrub, rinsing very well and then allow to air dry, preferably in the sun.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 AM

I do mine with a stronger bleach solution, scrub it out well, rinse well, let it dry completely.

With artificial plants, I think it would be ok to toss those in a bucket of bleach water and let them soak. Any hard, non-porous decorations can probably be soaked in bleach. I'd probably remove the background. Bacteria could be behind it and not cleaned by the bleach water.

I'd get a small glass bowl for feeding the crickets so they aren't running around. They won't be able to climb out of the bowl and your frogs will go there to eat.

I would set the fogger to go off at night a few times but none from the morning until the next nightfall.