Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 07:51 PM

Default Reinwardt's Flying Frogs

I'm looking for information on setting up a tank for a few of these. Has anyone kept them before or do you know a breeder or importer that gets these.

Thanks Thad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Reinwardt's Flying Frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadmy View Post
I'm looking for information on setting up a tank for a few of these. Has anyone kept them before or do you know a breeder or importer that gets these.

Thanks Thad
They come in occassionally but tend to come in dehydrated and heavily parasitized. Best set up I could recommend would be nothing smaller than a heavily planted screen cage no less than 16"by16"30" hooked up to a misting system. These frogs make very long leaps in the wild and have a tendency to get scrapes and bruises from continually bumping into glass which they don't recognize as a barrier. A 65 gallon Reptarium would be an even better choice but you have to be carefull about crickets chewing through the screen.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:13 PM

Yeah I knew it would be a risk for parasites with the wild most exporters now feed them anti-parasite stuff before they ship them. All my tree frogs have been imports and I haven't had a problem with any of them.

I figured a big screen tank would be best for them I know they need one that is almost tall as it is long since they glide.

I was going to plant the tank I have built all my frogs both darts and tree frogs vertical tanks with tons of living plants in the tank.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM
Sponsor

The ones I have found have been to hell and back. rub nose and even a few without a nose. I have found very few in a condition that if I bought them, I could help them survive. This is a species I would recommend buying in person. Other may have better experience than me and could point you in that direction (through PM).
The Following User Says Thank You to JJuchems For This Useful Post:
FRISCHFROGS (08-12-2012)
Old 07-20-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks yeah HOPING I can find some like I said not trying to get them this minute just trying to find information on them since I have been in the hobby for the last 18 years and I've NEVER seen any flying frogs
Old 07-20-2012, 08:25 PM

Best bet is to watch the Strictly Reptiles whole sale lists( you need a log in to see prices, but you can still see the available stock without that) and the next time they come in(which will probably be this fall) pay a premium to someone like Mark Lucas to hand pick you some from their stock. Even with those precautions be prepared to see losses of 40% or more.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 PM

Alright thanks I'll keep that in mind
Old 07-20-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantisdragon91 View Post
Best bet is to watch the Strictly Reptiles whole sale lists( you need a log in to see prices, but you can still see the available stock without that) and the next time they come in(which will probably be this fall) pay a premium to someone like Mark Lucas to hand pick you some from their stock. Even with those precautions be prepared to see losses of 40% or more.
Do you know the cage requirements off hand for them
Old 07-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Sponsor

Go big or go home!

For real I would look at using the Exo-Terra Extra large 36 x 18 x 36. For the intensity or the injuries I have seen from being cupped and in smaller containers.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJuchems View Post
Go big or go home!

For real I would look at using the Exo-Terra Extra large 36 x 18 x 36. For the intensity or the injuries I have seen from being cupped and in smaller containers.
Jason,

I'll have to disagree on this with you since I don't like using glass for large canopy dwelling tree frogs for a number of reasons( ventilation, nose rub, inability to recognize as a barrier) As a point of reference I keep Borneo Eared frogs which are a similarly sized species(with a similar ecological niche) in a 16" by 16" by 30" screen. However as I stated previously a 65 Gallon or larger Reptarium would be even better.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 AM

Roman: You feel that these guys can hurt themselves even in a large tank? How about if they're raised up in one? Twenty years ago, the Bronx Zoo had an excess of Litoria infrafrenata, and three wound up in my 55, As they grew, they quickly went from being "leapers" to "roamers." Fifteen years ago was given a baby Polypedates dennysii, same deal. Did this work cause they were CB babies and not WC imported adults? Then again, when I was a teenager I kept WC P. leucomystax w/o problems--but I always started with the youngest individuals I could find!

Or would you still go with a chameleon-type cage for the ventilation issue?

P. S.

I know they're common--but P. leucomystax is a very underrated display animal and pet.
1.0 Cuora trifasciata
Old 08-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Roman: You feel that these guys can hurt themselves even in a large tank? How about if they're raised up in one? Twenty years ago, the Bronx Zoo had an excess of Litoria infrafrenata, and three wound up in my 55, As they grew, they quickly went from being "leapers" to "roamers." Fifteen years ago was given a baby Polypedates dennysii, same deal. Did this work cause they were CB babies and not WC imported adults? Then again, when I was a teenager I kept WC P. leucomystax w/o problems--but I always started with the youngest individuals I could find!

Or would you still go with a chameleon-type cage for the ventilation issue?

P. S.

I know they're common--but P. leucomystax is a very underrated display animal and pet.
Yes for the simple reason that these animals are ecologically different than the ones you described. They are high canopy dwellers used to make leaps of 100's of feet from tree to tree. As such they really are best suited to a soft mesh type enclosure with a 260 Gallon Reptarium being the ideal habitat. Large canopy dwelling species such as the Reinwardtii, Borneo Flying frogs or Phyllomedusa Bicolor will always do better in a chameleon type set up, at least in my experience.
Groundhog (02-08-2013)
Old 08-12-2012, 04:13 PM

What is the humidity requirement for these guys? If its high, how do you maintain it in a mesh enclosure?
Old 08-12-2012, 04:42 PM

In my experience if the screen cage is well planted and is hooked up to a misting system that runs for a couple of minutes twice a day, humidity should be sufficient.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:49 PM

Roman, any suggestions on how to maintain humidity in a very dry climate such as mine?

Livin' La Vida Vivarium
Old 08-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphytes etc. View Post
Roman, any suggestions on how to maintain humidity in a very dry climate such as mine?
I would still recommend doing a screen cage with no floor insert(so that excess water can be caught in a bucket underneath the cage as opposed to saturating and flooding the substrate) Use a deep and coarse substrate layer( natural, additive free potting soil mixed with leaf litter or something along those lines), heavy planting with a large water dish for them to soak in and an increase the misting frequency to 4-5 times a day(2-4 minutes at a time)
epiphytes etc. (08-12-2012), Groundhog (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Thanks Roman. Hmnnn... I wonder if one difference between Rhacophorus and Polypedates is preferred niche, i.e., most Rhacophorus prefer the canopy, while Polypedates hang lower in trees? I know that when Bert Langerwerf bred his P. dennysii, they would hang a little below to little above eye-level. When I let mine free-roam, they would also avoid very high places, preferring chairs, arm rests, back of the couch, countertops, etc. (man, were they smart about going back to their basins to rehydrate). I can tell you, it really is cool to shake the insect bag, and have big frogs jump up onto your table and stare at you, waiting to be fed...
1.0 Cuora trifasciata
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Thanks Roman. Hmnnn... I wonder if one difference between Rhacophorus and Polypedates is preferred niche, i.e., most Rhacophorus prefer the canopy, while Polypedates hang lower in trees? I know that when Bert Langerwerf bred his P. dennysii, they would hang a little below to little above eye-level. When I let mine free-roam, they would also avoid very high places, preferring chairs, arm rests, back of the couch, countertops, etc. (man, were they smart about going back to their basins to rehydrate). I can tell you, it really is cool to shake the insect bag, and have big frogs jump up onto your table and stare at you, waiting to be fed...
I'm not sure that it can be partitioned quite as neatly as genus. For instance Polypedates Otilophus(Borneo Eared frogs) tend to dwell higher up in the canopy than many smaller Rhacorphorus species.
Groundhog (08-13-2012)
Old 02-08-2013, 12:15 AM

I had these many years ago and they are beuatiful frogs. I first ran into them at a show in NW jersey. They were in very good condition. Think i had 5 or 6 male and females. Keep them in a planted 29 gallon tank. If I remember I had 3/4 of the top closed and 1/4 vented for many years. Never was able to get them to breed but back then before the internet there was very little on breeding and keeping frogs. Would love to see these frogs breed. One of my all time favorites. I see available every few yrs.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 AM

These are still easily attainable from importers.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 AM

Since Malaysia closed they have actually been difficult to get but similar species are being exported out of Vietnam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn567 View Post
These are still easily attainable from importers.