Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By frogface
  • 1 Post By mialma09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 AM

Default New baby red eyed tree frog questions please?

Hey hows it goin so I have been here on this forum only a couple weeks I bought two cobalts at the san diego show and I was at the reptile store and saw they had bran new baby red eyed tree frogs. So I took a look at all of them in the tank picked the biggest one out and it was really active after I washed my hands and let it crawl over my hand. I just wanted to hear from somebody who had a little more experience with tree frogs seeing as I am both new to darts and trees about if they could guesstimate the possible age of my new little guy and if he looks relitively healthy. Also I rigged a cool little 6 quart shoebox cage for him to start out with since he is so small i didnt want to put him into the reg 10 gal I have and if u could tell me wether that looks alright or not for a little while??? here are some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tree frog.jpg (25.8 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Tree frog setup.jpg (93.4 KB, 110 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 04:35 AM

Default Re: New baby red eyed tree frog questions please?

Adorable! I think he'll be fine in the container you set up for him. Will you be feeding him in there? Maybe move him out for feeding to an empty container, so he doesn't get a mouth full of moss.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 AM

yeah i would suggest ditching the moss if your going to feed it in there. and i dont know how tall that is but it looks really short. you might want something a little taller. i dont think a 10 gallon is bad for it even being a baby. i own 3 right now so if you ever have any questions feel free to PM me.

oh and i also suggest a feeding bowl for feeding better to start them off early.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:30 AM

Ya I mean I just threw some dusted melano FF's in there before I left for work and I wet and packed the moss down really well where it wont stick to him or anything as he walks. Feeding bowl??? Like what kind of food would I be putting into a feeding bowl for it though??? It is a 6 quart shoe box not very tall but he is really tiny though about the size of a dime prolly a little smaller, I just didnt want anything too tall where if he fell at least it would only be like 6in on moss. But im glad U like him and that he looks healthy, do u have any idea how old it might be?
Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 AM

The reason to feed him somewhere without the moss is that they lunge at their food, mouth first, rather than with an extended tongue like darts. They can get a mouthful of the substrate and choke or impact.

You can put small crickets into a smooth sided container (small glass bowl or whatever). The crickets won't be able to get out but he should be able to climb in to eat them.

Also, the crickets should be gut loaded and dusted.
mrzoggs likes this.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 AM

Okthen I will see if he will eat outside of his cage or not tomorrow and yeah I gutload the crickets with the zoo med total bites and dust them with a mix of indoor miner-all and repashy super pig. I did wanna ask though do tree frogs come from different parts of central america and south america or are the only from like nicuragua or costa rica???
Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 PM

there are many species of tree frogs living all over the world. but Agalychnis Callidryas come from Northern South America, Panama, Costa Rica, and stretch as far north as southern Mexico
Old 07-15-2012, 06:01 PM

That little guy has nice coloration. It looks like my Nicaraguans.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 AM

Hey thanx a lot for the comment ya I just saw a bunch of baby red eyed tree frogs at LLL reptile and I've always wanted one or two. Plus they were only 19.99, I was taking a look at him the other day and I was like well crap you look pretty lonley in there and my froglet cobalts love each other and always really bold so I went back to LLL reptile and grabbed another red eyed tree frog one of its bother or sister, one that was preety hefty and the biggest one in the cage that I could find and looking closely at it is actually a little more vibrant than the first one I picked out and also has white spots all along its back. So of course my wife had to name it speckles lol. I'll make sure to take a picture of it tomorrow and put it up here for you to see the newer one.
mrzoggs likes this.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:51 AM

Hey whats up so here is that second baby tree frog I purchased and its prettier than the first one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0542.jpg (93.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0541.jpg (90.7 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-17-2012, 01:53 AM

tried to take a pic with him on my hand but he is too jumpy and i dont want him to get hurt.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:03 AM

Hey I just wanted to ask one more thing? How is it u know if these guys are eating ok and doing well cause my darts are easy they eat right in front of me but the red eyes are obviously nocturnal and I see them wake up when the lights turn out and moving around I always keep a few crickets in there for when they do wake up. Can they see the prey ok in pitch black or not cause I am just not use to having an animal I never see eat???
Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 AM

ive had mine for months and ive only seen them eat a couple times. if they are pooping, they are eating. thats why i suggest paper towels for the beginning.

also you could try bowl feeding like ive suggested. put crickets on the outside if the bowl and also inside the bowl. a small pyrex bowl works fine. sooner or later they will learn to use the bowl and then you can count the number of crickets missing from it each night. its also easier to count crickets when there is paper towels on the bottom instead of some other substrate. paper towels are also easier to clean up. bowl feeding is also easier to clean. you wont have stinky crickets lying dead all over the enclosure.

oh yeah almost forgot. they prefer complete darkness at night. they can see fine. i use no light at all on my tank and they dont wake up until all the lights are out. its almost instant. after i turn the lights out they start calling and crawling all over the tank hunting and soaking.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:18 AM

sweet yaa thanx a lot i got to see them eat once already they came out and started crawling around and i dumped some dusted crickets in there and they tagged a few in the light then passed back out tilll i put em back in my room where it was pitch black but thanx for the advice though ill probably have to swith out the moss but i dunno they seem to be doing fine cause every day i find poop all over the cage so i thing they are ok.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:25 AM

just because they are ok with moss now doesnt mean they will always be with ok with it. all it takes is one piece being swallowed and it can cause serious problems. ditch the moss...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrzoggs For This Useful Post:
EriksReptiles (04-14-2013)
Old 08-03-2012, 03:54 AM

Ok so I am definitely picking up on changing out the moss and have papre towels down. Now when they get to become a little larger I was going to make another one of my custom 3d tanks using a 20H. That sound roomy enough for them or should I incorporate a little more length to it. And what type of substrate do you use for your larger red eyed tree frogs?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialma09 View Post
Ok so I am definitely picking up on changing out the moss and have papre towels down. Now when they get to become a little larger I was going to make another one of my custom 3d tanks using a 20H. That sound roomy enough for them or should I incorporate a little more length to it. And what type of substrate do you use for your larger red eyed tree frogs?
with the way they were looking i would look more into the health of your frogs at the moment and not what type of enclosure your going to put them in.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:39 AM

whoops. though i was replying to the red eye thread in the health and disease section. hehe scratch that!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 AM

Ok whooo u had me wigged out for a sec man I was gonna say like damn really??? they look ok from where i wsa standing and feeding them earlier. But to answer my question with my baby frogs you think that will be alright for them for a long while.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 AM

yeah i think a 20 gallon would be great for them. itd be a big upgrade from what they have right now. i keep 2 in a sterilite that has nothing but paper towels and water in it and they are just fine. mind you i wont be keeping them in that forever. just due to certain circumstances they will have to be in there for a while. there are plenty of other substrates that are acceptable. eco earth is pretty cheap. it comes in bricks. i would use some type of leaf litter over top of it so they dont get a mouthfull of substrate when lunging for a cricket. unless you are bowl feeding.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 AM

Yeah sorry about ur two frogs with hookworms hope they get well.Sorry, I read alot on the general health and disease forum after you sent the message to me but didnt mean too and so a bunch of urs and ed's comments, they were very informational. I mean i'm not going to be owning many frogs just a handful of darts and those two tree's are fine with me, but all the medications and what not you all were talking about was very interesting. Makes me thankful I have an exotic reptile and amphibian vet only about 30 min away.And thanx yeah ill change out there moss tomorrow. Just one last question on the substrate though por favor, would rosen paper be ok like the workers paper they use to soak up the paint and water. Its just thick paper and I use it for my brothers retic and once for my blackthroat monitor when I didnt have substrate for him and it works great for my wifes three baby crested geckos for now. I just wanted to know if the tree's would react differently for whatever reason??? Im pretty sure its just normal paper though. I appreciate your responses though, really making it easy for me to care for my little guys.