Ideas on taking care of Pseudacris when very small metamorphs? Also, pics of them. - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM

Default Ideas on taking care of Pseudacris when very small metamorphs? Also, pics of them.

I have some very tiny Pseudacris. I think they are P. crucifer, Spring Peepers, but one or more may be Pseudacris triseriata, Western Chorus Frogs. I they were in coconut fiber or moss, they would probably never be seen again... well, maybe. How about paper towel in a large plastic covered container? Would that work until they are larger?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 04:58 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Ideas on taking care of Pseudacris when very small metamorphs? Also, pics of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisian View Post
I have some very tiny Pseudacris. I think they are P. crucifer, Spring Peepers, but one or more may be Pseudacris triseriata, Western Chorus Frogs. I they were in coconut fiber or moss, they would probably never be seen again... well, maybe. How about paper towel in a large plastic covered container? Would that work until they are larger?
I would use a pretty small container, no bigger than 12qt. Just use paper towel but give them a patch of some sphag moss and some leaf litter so that humidity stays up and they are able to hide. This way you can still monitor them and make sure they are staying healthy and getting the proper food.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Ideas on taking care of Pseudacris when very small metamorphs? Also, pics of them

How is this project turning out?

What did you feed them?

How did you get yours?

What are the future plans for this frog? Have any viv designs or pictures?

Thanks

Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherfleshy View Post
How is this project turning out?

What did you feed them?

How did you get yours?

What are the future plans for this frog? Have any viv designs or pictures?

Thanks
I feed them fruit flies - even the larger species, D. hydei they could eat almost as soon as they metamorphosed.

I found them in a cattail marsh right near a forested edge - and edge of the marsh mostly shaded by the forest and kept cooler - and they were near froglet/metamorph stage. The marsh was near Lake Michigan (so their parents bred later and they themselves morphed slower than inland peepers), in Montague Michigan, near the inland edge of the forested sand dunes. (Some springs it can be deafeningly 'noisy' there with peepers... and a few chorus frogs.) Most of the visible standing water was gone... but not where I got these guys.

Here are photos of the 10 gal tank I have them in today - just coconut husk fiber on a false floor, with a water dish and some broken artificial aquatic plants on for cover. Later I will probably add live (a) live plant(s). The first photo also has a bucket on the on the right which contains what are probably Green Frog tadpoles, and 20 gal long tank right along the wall which contains a mole salamander (either Spotted Salamander or Tiger Salamander). In the second photo you can see one of the peepers crawling along the rear wall of the tank.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM

I live a stones throw away from a swamp/pond.

I love the sound of these things...just wondering if I could build a viv for them.

I know that they are not really water frogs but do you think that they might appreciate a feature?

I have a small 2g Fluval "spec" and Im wondering if that might not work for a single one of these. Think it could be really cool. Somewhat of a riparium design.