• 4 Post By frogface
  • 1 Post By frogface
  • 1 Post By fieldnstream
  • 1 Post By Derek Benson
  • 1 Post By frogface

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 10:53 PM

Default Tree Frog tank gets a makeover

My P tomopterna seem to be doing well. However, their tank is getting overrun by microfauna and a few rogue roaches. I don't like my tree frogs to have free range food. Plus those roaches get huge! So I decided to get rid of their substrate. Less room for the microfauna to multiply in and fewer hiding spots for roaches on the loose.

I didn't want their substrate to be paper towels or AstroTurf, so, what I decided to do was clean everything out of the bottom of the tank and fill it with river pebbles and water. The water is low enough that they can sit up in it.

Next step will be to replace the string with siliconed cocofibered string, for climbing and branch security.

Here are some pics:

First I secured the branches with string tied to suction cups
100_2431.jpg

Then I scooped out the insides
100_2433.jpg

The string held fast
100_2434.jpg
100_2435.jpg

Added pebbles
100_2437.jpg

Added water and plants
100_2441.jpg

Added frogs
100_2446.jpg

Where does he think he's going? lol
100_2443.jpg
yours, fieldnstream, Mer_ and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Tree Frog tank gets a makeover

Haha, I LOVE me some P. tomopterna!!! Great thinking! I also got rid of my substrate in my tree frog tank(s) [red eyes and the same species] because pretty much the same reason.....I'm just using the featherlite and sphagnum moss now with mostly artificial plants, and for kicks because it's always worked well in their tanks....an Exo Terra Medium Waterfall!

I like your string - to - suction cup maneuvering there, you should patent that move Their new home looks spectacular, the frogs look great! *grin*

toads.newts.tree frogs.dart frogs.geckos! I want a Vizsla next...
The Following User Says Thank You to yours For This Useful Post:
frogface (04-16-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Hahaha, nice engineering with the string & suction cups. Looks good - maybe I need to get some tree frogs so someone will stay up late with me!

Roaches? As in feeder roaches?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenhman View Post
Hahaha, nice engineering with the string & suction cups. Looks good - maybe I need to get some tree frogs so someone will stay up late with me!

Roaches? As in feeder roaches?
Yes, feeder roaches! I was hoping no one was going to think I've got roaches all over my house that are invading my frogs, lol.

Once you get used to them, they're kind of cute
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 PM

I'll admit the thought crossed my mind!

As long as they're not lateralis or any of the 'pest' looking kind I'm fine with them! Which sort do you have?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I'll admit the thought crossed my mind!

As long as they're not lateralis or any of the 'pest' looking kind I'm fine with them! Which sort do you have?
Here's wiki! Ok but it's the only one I found that had pics of the babies. The babies are what get fed to my tree frogs. I'll be looking around for somthing that can eat the 'not babies but not adult' ones.

Blaptica dubia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-16-2012, 03:02 PM

Very cool Kris! I think the new setup is going to be perfect...have you thought about floating a couple of pieces of cork in the water to give crickets a haulout? Those tomos are sure spoiled with a momma like you
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldnstream View Post
Very cool Kris! I think the new setup is going to be perfect...have you thought about floating a couple of pieces of cork in the water to give crickets a haulout? Those tomos are sure spoiled with a momma like you
I don't know if it would help. IME, crickets fall over dead just looking at water, lol. Actually, I'm not keeping crickets atm. Roaches are just so much easier, less messy, aren't stupid, and, they don't stink.

Yea I love my tree frogs. I'm window shopping for others.
fieldnstream likes this.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Dubia are great! Nice choice. For something in the not nymph or adult range maybe you could give firebrats a go?

The suction cups were temporary right? If they aren't temporary, and were meant to be permanent, I can get you some nice magnets and wrap them in fiberglass and epoxy so they won't break down. Maybe put a nice nylon hook or eyebolt on them too.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Dubia are great! Nice choice. For something in the not nymph or adult range maybe you could give firebrats a go?

The suction cups were temporary right? If they aren't temporary, and were meant to be permanent, I can get you some nice magnets and wrap them in fiberglass and epoxy so they won't break down. Maybe put a nice nylon hook or eyebolt on them too.
Actually, I meant I'm looking for a creature to get that will eat the 'in between' roaches. Something with a big mouth

Yea, the string/suction cups are temporary. I'm going to be working on something to replace them. The good thing about nocturnal frogs, is they sleep pretty deeply during the day. Just got to be careful not to knock them off their leaves, lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
Have you looked at the frogs Novy had listed as "geographica"? I think joshs has them now, maybe listed as Hypsiboas crepitans? Anyway, they are amazing treefrogs, a little chubbier than the Phyllomedusines, but constantly change colors (sometimes they are a little bluish....really cool). Anyway, something to consider.
frogface likes this.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldnstream View Post
Have you looked at the frogs Novy had listed as "geographica"? I think joshs has them now, maybe listed as Hypsiboas crepitans? Anyway, they are amazing treefrogs, a little chubbier than the Phyllomedusines, but constantly change colors (sometimes they are a little bluish....really cool). Anyway, something to consider.
Oooh I like that!
Old 04-18-2012, 04:52 PM
TWI/ASN

Having done several tanks like this, the basic idea is a great one, but that will turn into a foul mess if that entire water bottom is not changed regularly. Dead crickets, frog fecal matter, dead plant leaves, etc. all build up in the bottom and create a toxic sludge with high levels of ammonia.

Whenever I set up tanks like this I usually have a higher water level with some aquatic/emersed plants, driftwood, and cork bark pieces to allow the frogs and feeders to get out of the water area. The water area is also filtered/heated and I preform regular water change son them as if it were a freshwater planted tank, keeping ammonia/nitrate levels low, normally nitrie is not an issued if the water has undergone the nitrogen cycle.

Not picking at your tank, just trying to provide some experience and possible solutions to a rancid, nasty pool of water.

I like your tomopterna, great looking frogs!
frogface likes this.
frogface (04-18-2012)
Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Thank you! I was wondering about this, just today, when I fished out what I thought was a dead roach and it was actually a large frog poo.

The bottom of the tank does not have enough vertical space, before the bottom screen, to put in more water. But, I can easily make another tank with that in mind (who doesn't love making new tanks!). For now, I'll be picking out poo and bugs, changing water, and planning something cool for them.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
TWI/ASN

Something that I have done in tanks with smaller quantities of water is to simply add an airline hose hooked up to a pump. This introduces O2 into your water and allows for some beneficial bacteria to survive that can help with the break down of waastes and prevent some nasty fungus/bacteria from growing. I usually add a liquid bacteria used for fish tanks to jump start this, I've heard of people using water from their own fish tanks, but most of the ones that I've seen have been riddled with nemerteans.
frogface (04-18-2012)
Old 04-25-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
I don't know if it would help. IME, crickets fall over dead just looking at water, lol. Actually, I'm not keeping crickets atm. Roaches are just so much easier, less messy, aren't stupid, and, they don't stink.

Field, wanted to tell you a story.

I'm setting up a room designated to bugs, eggs and tads. So, I decided to give culturing crickets another try. Got some crickets. Fed them to my tree frogs last night. Watched the frogs sneak down the vines to the feeding dish. Watched them watching the crickets. Watched them pee in the feeding dish. Watched the crickets drown in frog pee ...

I give up
fieldnstream likes this.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Haha Kris, I literally just laughed out loud! Honestly, those frustrating demons known as Acheta domestica are the main reason I gave up all of my treefrogs and just keep darts, fruitflies are so much easier, cheaper, and less stinky.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:03 AM

Ok, here is version umm 4 or 5. Taking Derek's advice to heart, I have removed the water. Maybe in the future, when I have money, I'll work out a deeper water feature with a filter. For now, it's low rent digs for the frogs

I left some of the rocks in place, put the plants in pots and added some others that I got at the "Strawberry Festival" today. There is a shallow water dish. Feeding dish not pictured.

Ignore the string. I've got string vines covered in coco fiber curing right now. They'll replace the ugly string and act as additional support for the branches as well as aesthetically pleasing climbing spots

Please let me know if there is anything wrong. I'm thinking that, since they get fed from a dish, I don't have to worry about them lunging face first into the potted plants and getting a mouth full. Right?

Pics
100_2541.jpg

100_2546.jpg