No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Agalychnis callidryas sitting strangely

Hi all

I have a group of 19 sub adult A. callidryas, reared from tadpoles. They are apparently healthy, except for one individual (the largest of the group, probably female), which does not completely 'blob up' when it sleeps. It's femurs don't close up tight to the body, so there is a gap between legs and body. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with the animal - it moves normally when awake and is feeding well.

I'm worried this is a symptom of something, perhaps nutritonal. My first thoughts are calcium or vitamin B. The frogs are fed mainly black crickets, gut loaded on a high calcium diet and dusted with nutrobal. Because of my schedule, I have to either feed the frogs about an hour before lights on, or about 4-5 hours before lights out, so although every feed is dusted, the frogs probably don't get a full complement of supplment on the crickets. They also sometimes get waxmoths, but various wormy things are usually refused.

Has anyone seen these symptoms before or can suggest what the cause might be? Also, if anyone has ideas as to how to feed out crickets so that they retain powder for longer, they would be most welcome.

Thanks

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,793 Posts
Default Re: Agalychnis callidryas sitting strangely

What is the ratio of A to D3 to E in the supplement and what is the source of vitamin A (is it a retinoid like retinyl acetate or palmitate or beta carotene).

The timeline between feeding and the frogs being awake to eat can be a concern as the crickets can groom most of the supplements off. Have you considered bowl feeding the frogs so when the frogs capture the crickets they also end up with more supplements?
I'm not sure why you would think it was a deficiency of B vitamins... To actually be sure if the frog(s) have an issue with calcium metabolism, you would need to get them x-rayed. That is pretty much going to be the only way to be sure there isn't a calcium issue...

Ed
Old 02-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Check the length of the legs in comparison to normal ones. May have a short leg or two.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.

The B vitamin thing was from what someone else mentioned. I hadn't seen anything that might substantiate it, either.

I use Nutrobal to dust crickets, and the frogs are also exposed to UVB lighting. Is this supplement suitable in terms of the Vit A quantity and source?

I'm trying bowl feeding currently, but am still trying to find something that the crickets can't escape from, but which isn't too deep for the frogs to feed from, and also isn't transparent. This isn't a long-term excuse, but I have only been looking for a day!

The limbs on the animal (and everything else about it) are completely normal.

I'm wondering, if this is a nutritional thing, if this frog is showing symptoms as it is the fastest growing animal, so is putting more demand on resources than the other animals.

I will get some small bowls (maybe ramikins) next week and start feeding using those.

Thanks for the advice

C
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM

Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,793 Posts

I can't make a comment on the vitamin A unless you tell me the amounts and the form of vitamin A supplied in the supplement.

Ed
jbherpin likes this.