Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Default Green Tree frogs

I have a pair of Hyla cinerea, green tree frogs, I am fairly certain I have a male and female. I am having a surprisingly difficult time finding information on breeding habits of these guys since they are so common. I shudder to think they are all wild caught... Anyway, I don't particularly care if they breed or not, I just want to provide them with the most ideal habitat possible and give them the opportunity to breed if they so desire.

Right now I have them in a 37g with about a 1.5g 'pond' with a mini waterfall, basically a plastic shoebox with a whisper power filter running water over shale into the basin with fake vines hanging into the water to make sure they are able to get out easily if they fall in. They have a few bahama and green anole tank mates. I also have a large piece of mopani with more fake vines to provide plenty of hiding places. There is some 'frog' moss from petco, I'm not sure what this actually is but it's turning more yellow every day and I don't think its going to survive, if anybody knows what it is or how to take care it? I also have table palm (I think thats what its called), that I haven't even planted yet. Substrate is eco earth coco fiber and organic potting soil mixed. The humidity is about 50% on average but I don't trust the gage... I mist twice a day regardless.

I am in the process of planning a paladarium, and going all natural, but I want to wait until I move into my new house in a few months to REALLY get to work on construction. I am considering moving the anoles into a 40B I have sitting in the closet thanks to petcos 1$g sale, however they don't seem to bother the frogs, or reverse.

If anybody has any suggestions on how to make them happier or provide better care I would really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Green Tree frogs

sounds pretty good, just lots of climbing spots and you will be good. years ago I used to keep hyla cinerea with house geckos. just keep the humidity around 70-80% and you will be fine. they are a temperate frog and I have found super high humidity was unneeded. in order to breed them you will need a dry season followed by intense misting. I had a bunch spawn doing this simple method. like many tree frogs they are triggered by seasonal change. as for your pauladarium idea you can do that just fine, the tree frogs wont use it though so making one for them is not necessary. I used to keep them in groups of 4-6 in a 30g with lots of broad leaf plants, vines and wood. I had a little pond as they will sit on the edge and hydrate sometimes. thats about it... they are super easy and simple to care for. good luck.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:01 PM

I just lost my 2. I had an oil leak near a heating vent, and the fumes were strong. I'm pretty sure the fumes got him. I think they lay eggs by the hundreds so I would pass on breeding.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-NICE View Post
I just lost my 2. I had an oil leak near a heating vent, and the fumes were strong. I'm pretty sure the fumes got him. I think they lay eggs by the hundreds so I would pass on breeding.
sorry about your frogs =(...they do lay quite a few eggs. i had clutches of roughly 30ish. never saw hundreds though.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:00 PM

If you want an idea of what you will have to deal with if they do breed, think about the similarities to Green Tree Frog's breeding and this Blue Sided Tree Frog Tadpoles thread:

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/tre...adpoles-3.html

Exciting, yes. More frogs than you could think possible :P
0.0.5 Azureus
Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 AM

eek, I don't really want to have a ton of baby frogs, I just want them to be comfortable and mimic nature for them. Does anyone know what the frog moss is?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 AM

Its dead until laid down. It will come back to live with the proper conditions. I can't give you a scientific name though lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 AM

It's probably a lot more cheaper and nicer to just buy a gallon of moss from Josh's Frogs or other Dart Frog Stores.
0.0.5 Azureus