Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Groundhog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Green Tree Frogs

Ive got a 18x18x24 Exo set up with live plants and everything and I was maybe thinking about putting a group of green tree frogs in it in hopes that they would breed for me because I have reached what I can afford for the moment with darts.. Tree frogs are cheap and pretty neat as well. Questions though.

How easy are they to breed to captivity?

Anyone have experience with GTF?

Do they need water in their vivs? Such as a bowl or running water, Is one better then the other?

How do you tell males from females?

Where would they lay their eggs? Film canisters?

I know some people mention a breeding chamber for RETF is that necessacary for green tree frogs? If so what is a breeding chamber?

Will they eat fruit flys? They are a small frog so I dont know why they wouldnt I just dont like to mess with crickets I already have to for my beardies.

Thats all for now. Ive learned alot about my dart frogs so now I have to about tree frogs!
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Green Tree Frogs

I have a pair of Green tree frogs. I know one is a male because of the crocking. The other one is smaller and doesnt crock, so either its a female or hasnt reached sexual maturity yet. The viv doesnt need water, my viv has like 2 inches of water and they bearly go for a dip. Im actually going to change there viv and lose the water its not a factor. They eat crickets. I think FF's may be too small for them they would probably have to eat a whole culture. I havent seen any eggs in my set up, but I only heard the crocks in the spring months.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 AM

Hi,

I have had a group of 2.2 american green tree frogs for several years. They are a great, hardy little tree frog. I cannot help much with the breeding question as I have never tried to breed this species. I have however seen amplexus between my males and females on numerous occasions and it is always tied to running water.

These tree frogs certainly need a source of water besides just misting, mine seem to really enjoy soaking quite a bit. In my experience, they seem to prefer still water to soak in as opposed to running water. A waterfall feature may be beneficial if you want to see amplexus but is not necessary.

Unfortunately this species isn't sexually dimorphic in regards to color. The females tend to be a bit more rotund than the males. The males tend to be smaller and longer in body when compared to the females. The only certain way to tell the difference between males and females of this species is to wait until your potential males start to call. They have a rather loud call, so you will definitely hear it if you're in the same room or even a neighboring room.

This species can lay several hundred eggs at one time and will usually lay on large leafs overhanging water in the wild. I'm sure in captivity would not be very different.

I cannot comment on if a rain/breeding chamber is necessary or not because I have never wanted to breed my group but a rain/breeding chamber is a separate system of tanks that allows for "rain." If you search rain chamber here or google it, you will find many pictures. They actually are not hard to construct, I have one for another species of tree frog I'm working with.

Unfortunately with this species, you will have to suffer through feeding crickets. They get too large to sustain themselves on fruit flies. You might be able to get away with this if they are super tiny from the pet store or supplier but they will quickly grow and need bigger prey items. They are very voracious eaters and fun to watch hunt their prey.

I hope my information helps you with your frogs. If you have any further questions, by all means let me know. I am by no means an expert at this species but I have been keeping them for awhile. Good luck!

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 AM

For most North American Hyla species: When adult, the males will be a bit slimmer with darker, "foldy" throats; the females are bigger, more robust with smoother, whiter throats. The difference is really quite noticeable.

U. S, hylids make great pets, btw. I have a rescued Barker for four years now, and I absolutely adore him (and I think he kind of likes me :-) Seriously, he sits on my hand to eat. I think some of you may have met him at Frog Day, where he sat in on my bromeliad talk.
Kai Wolf likes this.
1.0 Cuora trifasciata