Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 07:57 PM

Default Help breeding Boophis Albilabris (white-lipped bright-eyed frogs)

Recently a trusted local supplier got some B. Albilabris, and so of course I had to get some. I got three of the four available frogs, and boy are they lovely. One is a tad fat, and the other two are a tad underweight. They appear otherwise healthy and comfortable, and have already accepted Repashy dusted crickets.

Since they are so rare in the hobby, not bred in captivity, and Madagascar restricted exports, I’ve decided to attempt to breed. I have no prior experience with breeding, although my bird poop frogs have been getting it on recently (without me trying to get them to).
I can find very little information on these guys, much less on captive care and breeding. I have replicated their climate, and they have a 5 gal fully established, cycle, filtered and heated aquatic area to mimic the streams along where they’re found. (I have a few small tetras and loach in there, which are doing well and aren’t bothering or bothered by the frogs). I will soon get UVB.

From what I can gather, they are a brook breeding species who lay their eggs underwater, attached to rocks. They breed after heavy rains, I think, during the end of summer. Some of this is taken from info from a breeding project with Boophis phyyris, which seems to have similar breeding habits and is closely related to B. Albilabris, but of course not the same thing so there might be differences. The paper published on B. Phyyris had a lot of info and interesting statistics. It also mentioned that Albilabris was once successfully bred in captivity, by an unnamed conservation facility. It also seems they had to directly contact the facility to learn this.
While they haven’t been bred often, not many people have even tried so I may still stand a chance.

My group are not sexed, though one (Nessie) is 3.5” and much bulkier. The other two (Sasquatch and Chupacabra) are 3” and with a slimmer build. 3” is supposed to be adult size.

My plan to breed:
1. I have lowered the water level in their aquatic part by 1 inch.
2. Once my frogs are established and I’m satisfied with their weight, I’ll feed just enough for them to maintain that weight.
3. In mid-late August, I’ll wait for a rainy day (or, preferably, a thunderstorm) and mist as much as I can. I will also bring the water level back up to normal. I’ll probably play thunderstorm noises for them, though I don’t know if that will do anything.
4. Afterwards, I’ll continue with heavier misting (but not too heavy, don’t worry) and I’ll feed them more and introduce more variety.
5. Hopefully they’ll breed for me. 🤞

Questions:
Does this sound like it could work?
Any recommendations at all?
Any concerns?

If you have any, and I mean any, experience or info regarding any Boophis frogs I would love to hear it!
Thank you 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 10:42 PM

Also, one more question:
While the water section has a filter which creates some flow, the water remains fairly calm. Nothing like a stream. I do have a water pump, though. Would you recommend I use it to increase water flow?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Help breeding Boophis Albilabris (white-lipped bright-eyed frogs)

While I have no experience with these guys, I would suggest that it sounds like a rain chamber is called for. It's a bit better at mimicking a (short) rainy season than misting and even lightning sounds. This means: either a drain in the vivarium to keep everything from waterlogging and overflowing. Or: A false bottom with enough capacity to recirculate the "rain".
I have a moving water section in my Glass Frog viv, it uses a small pump in a pump house that can intake enough water to make a flow but not have any small gaps, or areas where suction could trap a little tad. And then I have an airstone- between the two there is plenty of agitation and gas exchange. I'm about to find out, because they just laid 50+ eggs on a philodendron leaf over the water feature.
I might move the tads out to a five gallon tank with sponge filters, but this "tank" in the vivarium is well started with lots of java moss and bacteria/ microfauna. Yours probably will be in a similar state of life by the time you get any "froggy action".
Good Luck and post so we can enjoy your attempts vicariously.

Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Help breeding Boophis Albilabris (white-lipped bright-eyed frogs)

I just did a post in the Construction sub-forum on actual stream flow rates and how to achieve them. It might be overkill for what you are looking for, but it is an interesting hypothetical examination of the subject:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...ml#post3087454