facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ravage
  • 1 Post By TeddytheFinger
  • 1 Post By TeddytheFinger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 AM

Default Gray Tree Frog

I have finally convinced my wife to let me get a gray tree frog. We have them all over my house. But before I do I wanted to make sure I am able to take care of it. So currently my tank has been up for a few months and everything is growing nicely. I have a glass top on it with a computer fan suction cupped and points to the other side of the tank. Now, this is an old 40G breeder. The temp (not the humidity) is monitored by a probe and it stays the high 70s maybe low 80s in the day and lows 70s or high 60s at night.
I wanted to see what people with the glass lid and a fan attached to push the air around. My air plants are growing well with it but I'm not too sure if that is enough air movement for frogs? It's not totally sealed all the way around because I have cords and such running into it and the glass is pretty thin so it flexes.
So what do you all think? Do I need more ventilation? Oh, the fans run about 15-20 minutes 14 hours a day every hour. Thanks in advance, and here is what my tank looks like now.
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pl...ml#post3071914
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2019, 11:52 AM

I think you need more ventilation and lower temps. This is not a tropical species and can be found in quite dry areas way up into Canada. I always kept my greys at room temp with room level humidity. They had a water dish and only on the driest winter days did they spend much time in it. You can judge temp somewhat by color. A cold frog will turn darker to try to warm up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Awesome For This Useful Post:
TeddytheFinger (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog

I've read (John Clare) that Grey's regional habitat preferences translate to captive preferences -- in other words, maintaining temps and humidity similar to those in your area is advised. Where do you live, and what is the climate like?

Here in WI I've seen them often in full sun, on dark surfaces, in 85F air temps; they of course can go somewhere cooler when needed, so watching your future frog to see where it prefers to hang out can give clues as to how to adjust temps and humidity. I've never kept the species, though.

My untutored intuition agrees with that of CA -- drier and cooler is at least a better place to start, since the frog will burrow for humidity and stop eating if too cool and you can make adjustments. If too wet or hot it would go downhill faster, sooner.

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
TeddytheFinger (09-04-2019)

Old 09-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think you need more ventilation and lower temps. This is not a tropical species and can be found in quite dry areas way up into Canada. I always kept my greys at room temp with room level humidity. They had a water dish and only on the driest winter days did they spend much time in it. You can judge temp somewhat by color. A cold frog will turn darker to try to warm up.
Ok cool, that's what I thought. I wanted to get more info before I moved. Looks like I'll have to look at another species. My tank seems to stay pretty humid compared to what it is outside. Thanks so much!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I've read (John Clare) that Grey's regional habitat preferences translate to captive preferences -- in other words, maintaining temps and humidity similar to those in your area is advised. Where do you live, and what is the climate like?

Here in WI I've seen them often in full sun, on dark surfaces, in 85F air temps; they of course can go somewhere cooler when needed, so watching your future frog to see where it prefers to hang out can give clues as to how to adjust temps and humidity. I've never kept the species, though.

My untutored intuition agrees with that of CA -- drier and cooler is at least a better place to start, since the frog will burrow for humidity and stop eating if too cool and you can make adjustments. If too wet or hot it would go downhill faster, sooner.
I'm here in Indiana. I think my tank is a bit too tropical for these little guys. That's good to know before I caught a few!!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:22 PM

There are diverse micro stations of conditions within locality climate descriptions. Within outstretched arms there are dry, moist, shade, sun warmed, and blended pockets and expanses within.

All north American Hylids (and most tropical) I have cared for through significant and intensely observed time frames frequently choose dryer perches in what appears to be a healthy pattern.

I go to some length to provide an accommodating constructed Puddle, Pool, or riparian feature to give them a clean, user-friendly osmotic refresh.

I often elevate it on an overturned pot with slate 'patio' to mitigate feeder insect contact/drowning and other collateral debris. I like to put a stone in it, as an natural ergo to a dish edge.

This necessitates a good scald and scrub regularly. If done regularly and located well in the environment, frequent full-on bleach or other agent use isnt necessary (imo) in a situ that isnt subject to new specimen influx.

I have found Hydrogen Peroxide to be a useful alternative to bleach in deep cleaning rocks. I mix my own dilutes according to need, starting with 35% food grade H202. I usually use 10%. There is less time rinsing and good mechanical and antimicrobial activity without residual
Old 09-07-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
I have found Hydrogen Peroxide to be a useful alternative to bleach in deep cleaning rocks. I mix my own dilutes according to need, starting with 35% food grade H202. I usually use 10%. There is less time rinsing and good mechanical and antimicrobial activity without residual
While I think this is good information, I also feel there needs to be some disclaimer here on an open forum with all sorts of people with different levels of experience. 35% Hydrogen Peroxide is dangerous stuff. According to the F.D.A., there is no such thing as "Food grade" H2O2. The only hydrogen peroxide listed in the U.S. Pharmacopeia (U.S.P.) is a 3% and 10%, which you can dilute as you said. If you know how to do a dilution.
This stuff will look (and I guess, taste) pretty much like water. If someone accidentally drinks it, they will quite possibly die. While the same is true of bleach; you'll know the second you smell that bleach. This stuff is being sold in health food stores often with little to no explanation of what it is. So be careful folks!
It would be a very simple sterilization method on rocks, and perhaps wood; but it does not mix with living things. Handle with gloves as well, don't get 35% H2O2 on your skin.
Okay, that's the disclaimer, use it wisely friends.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:36 PM

To my understanding, the Food Grade rating refers to its use in sanitizing well water. We are not able to buy it locally but buy it directly and shipped in heavy multi wrap plastic.

Its accurate that even at 35% it has little smell. And it will cause chalky micro embolisms on the fingers which resolve in a few hours.

careful disclaimers are good tho.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Sorry that I am late to the party. Yes I agree what is stated above with temperature but have you thought to change when temperature with the seasons? Like cooler in spring and fall and warmer in the summer? I do this for my grays and toads and it seems to work. You would want to stay away from the extreme hit and extreme cold, but if you look into it a bit you could try to replicate as best as you can the climate. For instance I look for the average low for the month in the warmer months and set an air conditioner to that at night and during the day I take it to the upper 70s like around 76-77. Anymore and it could get a bit uncomfortable for them.

As for humidity these frogs seem to thrive a little bit above relative humidity so around 55-65% day and 65-70% at night which is very similar to the humidity when they are active. You can also make the humidity change with the season if you wanted. You can have lower humidity to start in the spring and then max it out to what you want then drop it for the fall again.

Hope this helps. Sorry for being late!

Sent from my BKL-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 10:05 AM

No worries, man. I actually decided not to go with these little guys. I think my current set up want going to be condusive to their well being. I think, for now, I'll just stick with plants and isopods. Thanks so much though for responding!

The Following User Says Thank You to TeddytheFinger For This Useful Post:
AAronCap (11-11-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 AM

Grab a couple tropical tree frogs like red eyes or clowns they would do great in that.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycentral View Post
Grab a couple tropical tree frogs like red eyes or clowns they would do great in that.
I'm just asking for clarification not in any aggressive way but were you responding to me or to the OP?

Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAronCap View Post
I'm just asking for clarification not in any aggressive way but were you responding to me or to the OP?

I'd assume to me?

AAronCap likes this.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycentral View Post
That's not a bad idea.... I've just gotta convince my wife.....

AAronCap likes this.