Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Other Amphibians > Tree frogs
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Default RETF inactive

I bought a juvenile RETF from my local Repticon 5 days ago, and Iíve been really stressing about him. Heís only maybe an inch and a half long to 2 inches, and heís in a temporary 12x12x18 which will be upgraded as soon as I know heís healthy. Heís got a cork round, grapevine, and a broad-leaved large fake plant with a large shallow water dish on paper towels. The temp is low seventies, and Iíve had conflicting opinions on the humidity but I keep it in the 60% range. The past four days I would check on him before I went to bed and wake up the next morning to find him in the exact spot or close to where I last saw him, and itís really worrying. I threw in a few pinheads and havenít been able to find any except one that drowned, but I donít want to do a thorough search bc itíd stress him out. I donít think heís been eating, he seems very weak. The only night where I saw he was active was when he was in a 60 gallon tank with a pair of D. Tinc ďAzeureusĒ, but I thought it would be better to keep him out of it once I found the conflicting stuff on humidity and realized how difficult itíd be to feed him. If anyone has any suggestions please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Re: RETF inactive

1.5 to 2 inches is pretty well started. Males are only about 2 inches at full adulthood. As far as inactivity, he may be nervous in his new home and they do seem to take a few days to settle in some times. Even my adults sometimes skip a night of hunting and I find them in the same spot the next day. That said, you bought it at a show. Mind if I ask who you got it from? And did they tell you if it was captive born or wild caught? I too have bought them at a local show only to have them all die within a week to two weeks. It seems the wild caught are very susceptible to bacterial infections and the stress of the move will do them in. My last purchase at a show was from a vendor called Dart Frog Connection. I didnít know the negative feedback surrounding this company at the time I made the purchase or I would have got my retf elsewhere. The seller did admit to me they were WC and that they had arrived in his care only a couple days from the show. He made it sound like since they were WC on a farm they would be healthier than normal WC. Apparently thatís not true.

Humidity at 60 sounds fine. Mine bounces between 55 and 90 depending on the hour.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melajennie View Post
1.5 to 2 inches is pretty well started. Males are only about 2 inches at full adulthood. As far as inactivity, he may be nervous in his new home and they do seem to take a few days to settle in some times. Even my adults sometimes skip a night of hunting and I find them in the same spot the next day. That said, you bought it at a show. Mind if I ask who you got it from? And did they tell you if it was captive born or wild caught? I too have bought them at a local show only to have them all die within a week to two weeks. It seems the wild caught are very susceptible to bacterial infections and the stress of the move will do them in. My last purchase at a show was from a vendor called Dart Frog Connection. I didnít know the negative feedback surrounding this company at the time I made the purchase or I would have got my retf elsewhere. The seller did admit to me they were WC and that they had arrived in his care only a couple days from the show. He made it sound like since they were WC on a farm they would be healthier than normal WC. Apparently thatís not true.

Humidity at 60 sounds fine. Mine bounces between 55 and 90 depending on the hour.

I donít mind at all, I got him from Shore Things Exotics. From talking with the owner he seemed very knowledgeable, and his RETFís are captive bred. I guess Iím a little more on edge than I normally would be bc I had a bad experience buying a WTF from a breeder too, and I really donít want it to happen again. But this breeder seems a lot better. Iíve raised the temp to about 80F to see if that makes him more comfortable, and I still keep humidity around the 60-70% range

Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llnelson01 View Post
I donít mind at all, I got him from Shore Things Exotics. From talking with the owner he seemed very knowledgeable, and his RETFís are captive bred. I guess Iím a little more on edge than I normally would be bc I had a bad experience buying a WTF from a breeder too, and I really donít want it to happen again. But this breeder seems a lot better. Iíve raised the temp to about 80F to see if that makes him more comfortable, and I still keep humidity around the 60-70% range

Iíve heard nothing about that breeder. If you raise the daytime temp to 80 definitely keep an eye on your humidity. That might be a bit too high. Also make sure you let the temp drop back down to the low 70s at night.
llnelson01 (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melajennie View Post
Iíve heard nothing about that breeder. If you raise the daytime temp to 80 definitely keep an eye on your humidity. That might be a bit too high. Also make sure you let the temp drop back down to the low 70s at night.

Okay from what Iíve read, people say optimal temps are 74-83F but Iíll probably lower it anyways just to be on the safe side. The light that Iím using has a dimmer too, so if the thermometer reads too high or low I can adjust it a bit. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it

Old 07-14-2018, 05:11 PM

I wanted to add that pin-heads are too small for a RETF of this size. Food insects should be less than the width of the mouth, but not less than half that width. They will take a lot of stuff of various sizes, but a 1.5"-2" frog is going to need something big enough to get real nourishment from it. You could also try adding crickets at night- when you frog is awake. Movement and insect commotion will definitely stimulate feeding behaviour.
Also make sure it's getting air flow. High humidity sometimes comes with decreased air flow. Without a good air exchange it is easy to create a good bacteria incubator. And change that paper toweling every few days. Cleanliness is next to healthiness.
Is the frog sitting on the ground, or just hanging in the same place?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
I wanted to add that pin-heads are too small for a RETF of this size. Food insects should be less than the width of the mouth, but not less than half that width. They will take a lot of stuff of various sizes, but a 1.5"-2" frog is going to need something big enough to get real nourishment from it. You could also try adding crickets at night- when you frog is awake. Movement and insect commotion will definitely stimulate feeding behaviour.

Also make sure it's getting air flow. High humidity sometimes comes with decreased air flow. Without a good air exchange it is easy to create a good bacteria incubator. And change that paper toweling every few days. Cleanliness is next to healthiness.

Is the frog sitting on the ground, or just hanging in the same place?

Luckily I ran out of pinheads so Iíve been throwing in larger small crickets, Iíll keep him on that size. Heís got a screen top on his tank and I have a digital therm/hygrometer that I check on periodically. There was one day I found him on the ground, but he seems to be moving around a bit more and last night I found him shedding.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llnelson01 View Post
Luckily I ran out of pinheads so Iíve been throwing in larger small crickets, Iíll keep him on that size. Heís got a screen top on his tank and I have a digital therm/hygrometer that I check on periodically. There was one day I found him on the ground, but he seems to be moving around a bit more and last night I found him shedding.

Also every other day heís been up on the glass

Old 07-15-2018, 12:31 AM

On the glass is where you want them (or on a plant). Generally, RETF's on the ground is not good. But i agree with Melajennie, it's probably just stress from the new world it's living in.
Did you only get one? I'm no expert in the social life of tree frogs, but I've always kept groups. They are not aggressive toward one another in normal day to day life (like all creatures, they can get twitchy when breeding, but that's something altogether different). They seem to be communal creatures, and maybe part of the stress is just being alone. Keep up the good care and concern and I think you'll find the little guy will be fine.
Check in on your RETF's at night. You can see how they are feeling much better when they are awake. And they are so majestic when awake, you need to treat yourself to what it is you actually have here- it's not just a green blob sleeping on the glass. They are the poster frog, and for good reason.
llnelson01 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
On the glass is where you want them (or on a plant). Generally, RETF's on the ground is not good. But i agree with Melajennie, it's probably just stress from the new world it's living in.

Did you only get one? I'm no expert in the social life of tree frogs, but I've always kept groups. They are not aggressive toward one another in normal day to day life (like all creatures, they can get twitchy when breeding, but that's something altogether different). They seem to be communal creatures, and maybe part of the stress is just being alone. Keep up the good care and concern and I think you'll find the little guy will be fine.

Check in on your RETF's at night. You can see how they are feeling much better when they are awake. And they are so majestic when awake, you need to treat yourself to what it is you actually have here- it's not just a green blob sleeping on the glass. They are the poster frog, and for good reason.

I did only get one, but if mine grows well Iíll definitely get a tank large enough for at least two. Thank you for your help

Old 07-15-2018, 12:53 PM

RETF are not social. One frog will do fine. May take a week to get used to the tank. Hot side of tank low 80s cool side should be low 70s. A moth will always get them in hunting mood 😉. Since it is on the glsss how does it's underside look? Any redness?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:41 AM

Where are you located? We just had a Repticon here in Nashville and Shore Thing was there so I thought maybe you were out this way. Paul seemed like a good guy and genuinely cared about good frogs and quality breeding. He bought some frogs from me and I picked up a few more Red Eyed Tree Frogs for myself. They were calling this morning with my older male. I'm more than willing to help you with whatever you need or to check things out if you're around here.

I will echo the others and say that they're strictly active at night and won't do more than crack an eye during the day. They find a spot to hang out during the day and that's all they do when the lights are on. Some like the glass and some like leaves. As has been stated already, they take time to acclimate and need good food items of a size that really provides nourishment - feed at night so the calcium/vitamins are still on the crickets. I'd keep at room temperature and increase humidity a bit... go ahead and add soil, springtails, leaf litter and plenty of big leafy plants if you haven't already. They seem to thrive in a true vivarium.

If you're not seeing any activity at night (when all the light are off in the room too), then it may not be very happy.... how's the color? Light green is good, dark and patchy is usually irritated. Definitely watch at night as the others have said; they do some amazing things when they hunt and the way they move is mesmerizing.

I hope this is helpful,

Boyd
Old 07-20-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrog View Post
Where are you located? We just had a Repticon here in Nashville and Shore Thing was there so I thought maybe you were out this way. Paul seemed like a good guy and genuinely cared about good frogs and quality breeding. He bought some frogs from me and I picked up a few more Red Eyed Tree Frogs for myself. They were calling this morning with my older male. I'm more than willing to help you with whatever you need or to check things out if you're around here.

I will echo the others and say that they're strictly active at night and won't do more than crack an eye during the day. They find a spot to hang out during the day and that's all they do when the lights are on. Some like the glass and some like leaves. As has been stated already, they take time to acclimate and need good food items of a size that really provides nourishment - feed at night so the calcium/vitamins are still on the crickets. I'd keep at room temperature and increase humidity a bit... go ahead and add soil, springtails, leaf litter and plenty of big leafy plants if you haven't already. They seem to thrive in a true vivarium.

If you're not seeing any activity at night (when all the light are off in the room too), then it may not be very happy.... how's the color? Light green is good, dark and patchy is usually irritated. Definitely watch at night as the others have said; they do some amazing things when they hunt and the way they move is mesmerizing.

I hope this is helpful,

Boyd

Yeah I got him from the Nashville Repticon, and I agree about the breeder, seems trustworthy and I like him. Iíll probably set up a fan in the room to cool things down for him since itís usually high 70ís up there. Heís usually a light green during the day but once heís active heís usually a darker green but I heard thatís somewhat normal

Old 07-20-2018, 03:27 AM

He's probably fine. Let me know if you ever need local help. Enjoy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bfrog For This Useful Post:
llnelson01 (07-20-2018)